Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of September 11, 2016?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of September 11, 2016?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My husband did most of the cooking this week: roast chicken on Sunday (which gave us great leftovers for the week) and pork chops on Saturday, accompanied by sweet potatoes. On Friday, I made Dilled Salmon and Couscous. (I know, I made that last Friday as well, but after a busy week, salmon was handy, and the recipe goes together fast.)

Spread the word
      luvpyrpom
      Participant

I don't remember much of what I made earlier in the week. I think we were eating leftovers from late last week. I guess this week is trying new recipes - Friday, I made Thai Red Curry Chicken Wings from the Woks of Life blog. Used drumsticks instead of the wings. I think it will definitely taste better with wings. Saturday I wanted to use up the fig jam that I had opened last week so got a small pork top sirloin roast, butterflied it, smeared the jam, place a layer of sliced ham, and rolled it back together again. We'll see how it goes later tonight.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Today is our 44th wedding anniversary, we had beef stroganoff on rice.

I've been making beef stock since yesterday morning, the main batch (10 quarts) is cooling in the downstairs refrigerator, the remouillage is still on the stove.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Hopefully, third time's the charm. I've already tried to post this twice. But, unlike Baker Aunt I didn't copy what I wrote.

A Belated Happy Anniversary, Mike! I hope you had a wonderful day - your dinner sounds delicious.

I tried a recipe I found online for a Croque Monsieur Casserole, basically a bread pudding with Croque Monsieur flavor. It was quick and easy and I will definitely make it again with a couple of minor tweaks. I also made tzatziki, just because I wanted some.

I made the crockpot Honey Garlic Chicken again, really good and I've almost got the recipe where I want it. This time I thought I could taste the ketchup too much (I used HT store brand with no HFCS), so I will use less of that. I think I can reduce the quantity of sauce some more, too. Will keep you posted.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

I made strawberry shortcake in jam jars. My biscuits came out nice and high with lots of layers. The one problem I ran into was in my second batch I chilled them a little too long and some did not all bake all the way through. I did not notice this until they'd sat for several hours and I was in too much of a hurry to try popping them back in the oven. But has anyone tried this? Is there a time limit if these sit out too long and they cannot go back in. I might have been able to fry them. Fortunately I had enough to work around the under-cooked ones.

My three year old asked me what I was making and I said "biscuits". She was very upset because, she insisted, biscuits are for DOGS not people! My wife assured her it was all okay and while she ate the strawberries and whipped cream she was a little suspicious of the biscuits.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.