Home Forums Recipes David Lee’s Southern Style Biscuits by zen

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

David Lee’s Southern Style Biscuits
      Submitted by KitchenBarbaria... on March 09, 2015 at 6:44 pm

DESCRIPTION
      David Lee's original recipe for Southern Biscuits from the old Baking Circle ca 2004

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 Source http://community.kingarthurflour.com/content/dvdlees-biscuit-recipe File under biscuits, David Lee, dvdlee, Dvd Lee, southern biscuits, southern style biscuits

INGREDIENTS
      For each cup of White Lily Flour OR 3/4 cup bleached Gold Medal + 1/4 cup Cake Flour:
      1.5 tsp baking powder
      1/8 tsp baking soda
      1/4 tsp salt
      2 to 2.5 T butter (or 50/50 shortening/butter)
      1/3 cup buttermilk

INSTRUCTIONS
      Preheat oven to 450F.
      Blend all flour/dry ingredients together until well mixed.
      Cut fat into flour until you can't feel any 'lumps' of butter -- but if you compress the flour it will almost hold together.
      Add the buttermilk in one fell swoop and gently mix together (treat it like a muffin batter, mix as little as possible -- a dough whisk is GREAT for this)
      Turn onto a floured counter - gently press the dough together using the motions of kneading -- but not as much pressure. The dough will come together. Press the dough out until its around 1/2" - 2/3" inch thick.
      Cut into rounds. Put on ungreased baking sheet.
      Bake for 13 minutes (you should check on them after 13 minutes -- they will more than likely take a little longer -- but 13 minutes is when you need to take a peek!)
      You can brush the tops with sweet milk, butter or nothing at all. Personal pref. here.

comments
      Submitted by bakeraunt on Sat, 2016-02-06 15:32.
      This is my go-to biscuit recipe. I do, however, recommend cutting the baking powder from 1.5 tsp. to 1 tsp.
      #
      I always make a double recipe.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.