1/2 lb. onions, peeled, trimmed and chopped
      1/2 lb. green peppers, trimmed and chopped

My addition: 1 lb. or so of smoked sausage, cut into slices

Then:
      some cooked white rice
      minced onion
      olive oil
      vinegar

1. Put beans into a large, heavy soup pot or Dutch oven and add boiling water; boil rapidly 2 minutes. Cover tightly, remove from heat, and set aside 1 hour. Add salt to beans and liquid; bring to boiling and simmer, covered, until beans are soft. Add smoked sausage and cook until heated through.

2. Put the garlic cumin, oregano and vinegar into a mortar and crush into a paste.

3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Mix in onion and green pepper and fry until onion is browned, stirring occasionally. Thoroughly blend in the paste, then stir the skillet mixture into the beans. Cook over low heat until ready to serve.

4. Meanwhile, mix a small portion of cooked rice, minced onion, olive oil, and vinegar in a bowl, set aside to marinade for an hour or more. Add a soup spoon of rice mixture to each serving of soup. I really cannot say how much I use of each - to just about a cup or so of rice I will add a couple of tablespoons of oil and vinegar and onion. Just enough for it to marinade in. It really depends on the rice on how much you need.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.