Crème Brulee Éclair

Home Forums General Discussions Crème Brulee Éclair

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I was at the North Market in Columbus OH recently and had a creme brulee eclair, with a flat hard sugar piece on top. Got me wondering how to make that. Thoughts?

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by htfoot.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I don't know how to make it, but I want one!

Italiancook
        Participant

It's highly unlikely I can answer your question, Mike, but I'm wondering: Was the top rounded like a traditional éclair, or was it flatter? I don't like eclairs, but my grandmother used to make them.

KIDPIZZA
          Participant

ITALIAN COOK:
            Good evening. The topping is a sheet of carmelized sugar. The rest well check out how to do a éclair & instead of placing in a pastry cream concoction, place a dose of crème brulee in the middle.
            Sometimes we have to use our culinary imagination to get what we like when it is almost impossible otherwise.

Anyway I hope my post will get someone to put together a recipe for this dessert & it may end up being better than the original one.

Italian cook I enjoyed being with you this fine evening. Enjoy the rest of the day my friend.

~KIDPIZZA /CASS.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I didn't have a camera with me, but it was a flat piece of hard caramelized sugar, probably about 1/8 of an inch thick, roughly about the size of the eclair, so it stuck out over the rounded top, rather like a pastry aircraft carrier. It was slightly irregular in shape, so I don't think it was cast in a mold. Maybe cut by hand before the sugar sheet had fully hardened, or possibly using a stencil?

It had a slight pattern of stippling on it, like you'd get if the hot sugar syrup had been poured onto a silpat. I could see cutting it to shape, heating it with a torch and then touching it to the top of the eclair to pull it off the silpat.

It was quite tasty, with a nice pastry cream filling.

The North Market is Columbus's indoor year-round farmer's market, sort of like Faneuil Hall in Boston or Pier 39 in San Francisco, but smaller. It had a fish counter, a poultry counter and a meat counter, all the type that I wish we had ANYTHING like in Nebraska! (I can't even find veal chops or cutlets in Lincoln these days, much less specialized cuts, I saw about a half dozen veal cuts at the meat shop, at least 4 types of whole duck, plus duck breasts, confit duck legs and fois gras at the poultry store, there was a place doing sausages, one doing cheeses, a bakery, a patisserie, probably a dozen restaurants. I'm either sad that it isn't close or glad.)

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

I have not done this in years but when I worked at the bakery we used to caramelize sugar in a pan then shape it. We would cook it until it was fairly solid but still pliable (probably softball stage?) then pour it over things. We could make flats like Mike is talking about but we also bent it around bowls as it hardened. It is a cool way to serve ice cream in a caramel, edible bowl. Sometimes we would torch it to get the burlee'd effect and sometimes not.

As I said, I haven't done this in years.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.