Covid-19 Discussions and Stories

Home Forums General Discussions Covid-19 Discussions and Stories

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 268 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Our country would never have won World War II this way.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I'm not sure 'modern' historians still say we won World War II.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I'll amend my comment to state that our country would not have been a contributor with other countries to ending the Second World War if people had not been willing to sacrifice for the greater good.

Italiancook
          Participant

I think the reason it seems the WWII generation was willing to sacrifice is that they had just come out of the Great Depression. They were used to sacrifice. Now, not so much.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The latest covid19 shortage: beer cans!

The problem is that a lot of beer is usually sold in kegs to bars and restaurants and at sporting events, and they're all still pretty much shut down, so canned beer sales are up and the breweries are running out of cans.

BakerAunt
              Participant

The governor of Indiana is making masks mandatory as of Monday. It's late, given the spiking numbers, but we take what we can get.

Apparently the pandemic has also affected needlework shops. As a lot of threads come from Europe, and some of the dyes and material as well, the needlework shops are in the position of being able to sell new charts but not the materials for completing them. I still ordered a chart for a design celebrating the 100th Anniversary of women voting for the first time, and another that commemorates the arrival of the Pilgrims 400 years ago this autumn. I am hoping that I have materials and threads in my stash that will work.

BakerAunt
                Participant

For the first time since the first week of March, my husband and I shopped at Walmart in the next town on Tuesday. We went back only because of the mandatory mask order in our county and state, and Walmart's statement that masks are required. Everyone we saw was in compliance, as was also the case in Aldi's and Kroger.

Our governor decided not to include a fine for not wearing a mask, but he did include, in all bold caps, that if the state numbers do not improve, Indiana would be forced to return to an earlier phase of the reopening plan. We are in this mess in part because he pushed too fast with that reopening plan, so reality has bitten.

I was able to find two bags of KAF flour at Walmart for $3.49 a bag, which is a better price than the $4.99 that Kroger charges. And of course Bakers Authority immediately announced a discount offer....

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

There was a story/opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal last night about how there are virus outbreaks all over the world, many in places that have been cited as models of how to do it right like Japan and Korea, because people won't follow social distancing rules, required or not.

Contrary to what the media would have you think, it's not just a USA problem, it's not a red state vs blue state problem, it's human nature on a world-wide scale.

Here's the link, I don't know if it is behind their paywall or not:
                    WSJ article

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Indiana did move into some phases (gatherings of 200) more quickly than it should have done, especially given the lack of testing and contact tracing, and the inability to track what is happening in locales with many summer visitors. (Their cases are counted in their home counties, even if they have been here for months.)

I'm amazed that so many people--whatever their ages--are acting like rebellious teenagers. In some cases, people just did not have a clue that we are in this for the long run, and that a vaccine that ends it for good may not even be in the cards.

The story is behind a paywall.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I read where contact tracing may run afoul of HIPPA rules in the USA.

S_Wirth
                        Participant

That is all we need!

skeptic7
                          Participant

I ran into an article that said the contact tracers are running into problems with people who aren't cooperating. New York City used supenas to force people to give the names of the people that they had talked to at a party. Also a number of groups doing contact training are confused and disorganized and lack enough experience.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

When I was at Immediate Care last week, the nurse asked if I had been exposed ansc said I don’t know, I work at the resort. She said that people come in and lie about whether or not they’ve exposed.

Most of use at work say we don’t know, but people come in with their masks below their noses or take them down to talk. If I can I’ll ask them to keep it over their face. I just dont get some people - I guess many people.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by cwcdesign.
                              BakerAunt
                              Participant

Non Sequitur has a relevant comic today:

https://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2020/07/31

cwcdesign
                                Participant

I love this cartoon!

So yesterday we sent my Mom to the hospital. My friend the caregiver went to fix her meds on Thursday and she wasn't feeling well and hadn't taken her meds in a few days. After work I went over and obviously they wouldn't let me in to see her. They did a wellness check and she was OK and we decided to wait till yesterday to make a decision. They called the paramedics yesterday and after we talked, they decided it was best to take her (they prefer not to if they don't have to) When I was speaking with the nurse at 6 last night, her COVID test came back positive. We do have a DNR and they have the information on her chart. They will do a second test, probably not today, to confirm. She did have a restful night last night.

County wide the cases are still going up, but at a much slower rate.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 268 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.