Countertop Imu Kalua Pig with Cabbage (Crockpot) by Beachdee

Home Forums Recipes Countertop Imu Kalua Pig with Cabbage (Crockpot) by Beachdee

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

MEAT: "Countertop Imu" Kalua Pig w/ Cabbage
      Submitted by beachdee on April 24, 2004 at 9:34 pm

Enjoy the flavor of the luau's imu (pit in the ground) Kalua Pig, prepared in your crockpot! I got the basis for this from one of the Hawaiian-oriented websites, submitted by someone named Ruth. I've tweaked it a bit as the original was way too salty for my taste, even if authentic. That's why I'm glad I can make it myself, at home!

• 3-lb pork butt/shoulder
      • 1 1/2 Tblsp liquid smoke (more if you like stronger; mesquite variety will be closest to the flavor of the islands where the kiawe tree has traditionally been used for barbecue)
      • 1 1/2 Tblsp 'alaea (Hawaiian sea salt) (try http://www.hawaiisalt.com/default.htm)
      • water
      • cabbage, either napa or head, whichever you prefer

Wipe pork and remove excess fat. Rub a couple of drops of the smoke flavor over the outside of the pork.

Rub Hawaiian salt (or coarse sea or other salt, whatever you can get) onto the outside of the pork, trying to distribute it a bit. It doesn't have to be perfect because some of it will wash off into the water once it's in the slow cooker, anyway. Place in crockpot/slow cooker per manufacturer's instructions (use rack, etc.).

Add water to fill the crockpot halfway (with the pork already in).

Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours.

Just before pork is done cooking, slice up the cabbage into large, course shreds.

Remove pork, leaving juices in pot. Place cabbage into the pot and cook on high until as tender as you prefer.

While cabbage is cooking, shred pork with 2 forks.

Serve either as separate items with lots of fresh steamed rice, (or if you want to be really authentic, poi) or mix shredded meat and cabbage all together to serve, with juices in a dish to ladle over if desired. Some baked sweet potato would go well, too. Aloha!!

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.