Cosmic Crisp apples

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Cosmic Crisp apples

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

One of the chains has Cosmic Crisp apples on sale this week for $1.28 a pound. That's an apple that has been 20 years in development, a cross between Honeycrisp and Enterprise. It is a large apple, sweet and slightly tart, with good storage characteristics, the developers say it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a year.

I bought a few and tried one, it was tasty, so I bought more, as the sale ends today. It is said to be a good cooking apple, so I'm going to try making an apple pie with it in the next few days.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I'll make a note of that variety in case I see it. I doubt that will happen in the local grocery store, but I might look in the next town when we go shopping again. The York apples we bought last year were also a great eating and baking apple.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I keep looking for those apples,haven't found them yet.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I think this is only the 2nd year of large-scale production of Cosmic Crisp apples, I remember seeing a few last year, priced at over $4.00 per pound. This year they've usually been around $3.50 a pound, the $1.28 per pound sale was the lowest I've ever seen them and they're back to something like $2.86 a pound this week at the same store. I need to make pie dough tonight so I can make an apple pie with them tomorrow or over the weekend.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Cosmic Crisp apples make a great apple pie!

I'll put that on my list with Jonagold for apples to watch for in stores. (I've never seen Winesap in stores but if we have a normal growing season and harvest in 2021 I should be able to pick some when the U-pick orchards open next fall.)

I've still got about 7 pounds of them in the fridge, I may try making a strudel with some of them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.