Cheaters Cinnamon Roll Muffins (Salt Free Low Fat Low Sugar) by bivs99

Home Forums Recipes Cheaters Cinnamon Roll Muffins (Salt Free Low Fat Low Sugar) by bivs99

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Cheaters Cinnamon Roll Muffins (Salt Free Low Fat Low Sugar)
      Submitted by bivs99 on April 18, 2004 at 10:40 am

DESCRIPTION
      Cheater's Cinnamon Roll Muffins (salt-free, low fat, low sugar)

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Muffins Quickbreads Scones

INSTRUCTIONS
      My family loves cinnamon rolls, but they're time-consuming and not exactly dietetic. So I set out to recreate the taste in a quicker and healthier way. I have removed nearly all the fat from a basic muffin recipe (except one egg), as well as the salt and most of the sugar. (I have used Splenda except for the icing; it might be possible to use it there as well, but I haven't tried that yet.) If you prefer, the recipe can be made with regular sugar. The powdered milk is added for nutritional value, and can be omitted if desired.

Because these muffins are so low in fat, they are best served warm from the oven. If they sit out for a long time, they will toughen. However, they can be frozen; it is best to freeze the muffins without icing and add the icing just before serving.

Makes 12 muffins

299 g (10.6 oz; 2 2/3 cups) all-purpose flour
      36 g (1.3 oz; 1 1/3 cups) Splenda [or substitute 252 g (8.9 oz; 1 1/3 cups) regular sugar]
      4 teaspoons sodium-free baking powder (or 1 tablespoon regular)
      Salt to taste [optional]
      67 g (2.4 oz) cinnamon chips

1 egg
      88 g (3 oz; 6 tablespoons) water
      214 g (7.5 oz; 14 tablespoons) skim milk [soy milk may be substituted]
      1 tablespoon vanilla extract
      107 g (3.8 oz; 1/2 cup) unsweetened applesauce
      20 g (.7 oz; 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon) light corn syrup [omit if using regular sugar]
      56 g (2 oz; about 2/3 packet) nonfat dry milk [optional]

7 g (.2 oz; 1/4 cup) Splenda [or substitute 48 g (1.7 oz; 1/4 cup) regular sugar]
      9 g (.3 oz; 4 teaspoons) cinnamon [Vietnamese is my favorite]

37 g (1.3 oz; 2 1/2 tablespoons) softened cream cheese (or substitute equivalent weight of whipped cream cheese)
      37 g (1.3 oz; 2 1/2 tablespoons) buttermilk
      120 g (4.2 oz; 1 cup) confectioner's sugar

If using Splenda, do not preheat the oven. (Otherwise the muffins will get peaked tops.) If using regular sugar, preheat to 350F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, Splenda or sugar, baking powder and salt if using. Whisk to blend. Add the cinnamon chips and stir with a rubber spatula to distribute.

In a medium bowl, add the egg, water, milk, vanilla, applesauce, corn syrup and powdered milk. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Using a rubber spatula, quickly mix the liquid into the dry ingredients. The batter will be fairly thick; if there is not enough liquid, add water as needed. Make sure the dry ingredients are moistened but do not overmix.

Make the cinnamon topping by whisking the Splenda (or sugar) and cinnamon in a bowl.

Spray a nonstick muffin tin with Pam. Spoon the batter into the cups, filling almost to the top. Sprinkle the cinnamon topping evenly over the batter. Put the muffins into the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or so. (The Splenda muffins, with their cold oven start, will take longer, 18-20 minutes.) When the muffins are done, they will be springy to the touch. Cool muffins in the pan for a minute, then remove to a rack.

While the muffins are cooling, make the icing: Beat cream cheese and buttermilk together. (The mixture will look slightly curdled, but that's OK.) Beat in the confectioner's sugar until smooth. Place the rack with the muffins over a baking pan to catch drips, then drizzle the icing over the muffins. Serve warm.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.