Canning Blueberry Pie Filling

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Canning Blueberry Pie Filling

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My husband and I picked 21 pounds of blueberries today. I want to try again to can blueberry pie filling. I have posted the BC thread from last year, when things did not quite go as planned.

According to the Georgia site that Randyd told us about, a quart is 3 1/2 cups. However, I have very juicy blueberries, which as the discussion says, may cook down to less. I'm thinking of making the 7-quarts of filling, with the idea that I will not get 7-quarts but maybe more like 5.

Does 3 1/2 cups seem to you to equal a quart of blueberries, or should I go with 4 cups?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

After re-reading last year's thread that I posted from the BC, I decided to use 4 cups of blueberries for each recipe and do a 4-quart recipe. That was both to see how it came out, and also because I have limited sizes of pans here.) This time I got 3 1/2 quarts, which I put into two 1-quart jars and three 2 cup jars. It takes about 6 cups to make a pie.

They are now cooling on the counter. I think that one of the two quart jars did not seal properly. I'll check tomorrow after they sit overnight.

BakerAunt
        Participant

As I suspected, one of the quart jars did not seal. I think that the flat lid was defective, but I may go ahead and throw away the ring as well. I've put a plastic cap on that jar and moved it to the refrigerator. I'll bake it into a pie. I'll check the seals on the others after they sit for at least 12 hours.

The most complicated part of the process is that the blueberries must first be prepared by plunging each 4-cups into boiling water, waiting for the water to boil again, boiling 1 minute, then removing and draining. I have the perfect pot for that--back in Texas--so I had to improvise here in Indiana with an old fryer basket left over from my husband's parents. I lined it with an industrial-size coffee filter to keep the blueberries from falling through. Cheesecloth might have been better, as I had to change the filter after the second dunking for the final two. (I have the large coffee filters because of the recommendation from KAF that they are great for blind baking pie crusts--and they certainly are!.) Mine came from a restaurant store.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
          • This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.