Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread

Home Forums Recipes Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread

On the Baking Circle, Dachshundlady posted a Grape Nuts Bread recipe, that is posted on this site as well, that she had adapted from Donna German's Bread Machine Cookbook. I've been doing my own experimentation and have further adapted it. I will post both a two loaves recipe and a one loaf recipe that can be kneaded in a bread machine. This bread has become my husband's favorite. It stays soft longer than any other bread I bake, yet it has the structure to stand up to sandwiches.

I use a Cuisinart 7-quart stand mixer, so the speeds and the times are for that mixer. I've not found them to vary much when I bake recipes that are geared to a Kitchen Aid mixer, so adjustment may not be needed. It's a case of Know Thy Mixer.

Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread: Two Loaves

2 cups Grape Nuts cereal
      1 1/3 cups buttermilk

1 1/3 cups water
      3 1/4 tsp active yeast

6 Tbs. canola oil
      4 Tbs. honey

2 1/2 cups bread flour
      1 cup whole wheat flour
      4 tsp. vital wheat gluten (optional)
      4 Tbs. malted milk powder

2 1/4 cups King Arthur AP flour
      3 tsp salt

In small bowl, soak Grape Nuts cereal in buttermilk, while proofing yeast in water in mixer bowl with a bit of the honey. This will take about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, stir together bread flour, whole wheat flour, vital wheat gluten, and malted milk powder.

Add Grape Nuts mixture to the proofed yeast. Add oil and honey. Mix with paddle on speed 2 to combine. Add bread flour mixture and mix on 2 until combined. Remove paddle and let the dough sit for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, stir together the all-purpose flour and salt.

Add flour mixture to the dough. Insert bread hook and mix on 2 for two minutes. Use plastic scraper to turn dough and bring it together. Mix on 2 until it comes together. I usually need to add an extra 1-2 Tablespoons of buttermilk. Knead on speed 3 for 5 minutes.

Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise one hour. Turn dough out onto a mat and de-gas. Divide into two equal parts (a scale is handy). Cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Shape into loaves. I do this by patting the dough into a rectangle with my hands, then rolling it from the short side and using my hand to seal it as I go. Place in greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pans and let rise for 30 minutes. (I put the pans in a large plastic container with a lid.) Preheat oven to 350F while loaves are rising.

Spritz loaves with water and bake for 45 minutes. (Internal temperature should be about 200F). Remove from pans and let cool on rack.

Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread: One Loaf

1 cup Grape Nuts
      2/3 cup buttermilk

2/3 cup water
      2 tsp active yeast

3 Tbs. canola oil
      2 Tbs. honey

1 1/4 cups bread flour
      1/2 cup whole wheat flour
      2 tsp. vital wheat gluten (optional--I usually omit)
      2 Tbs. malted milk powder

1 cup plus 2 Tbs. AP Flour (I use King Arthur)
      1 1/2 tsp. salt

I usually use the bread machine to knead the dough. Then I let it rise in a bowl before shaping into a loaf. (See instructions under the two-loaf recipe.)

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Note: I reduced the salt in the doubled recipe to 2 3/4 tsp. I have also been playing around with decreasing the bread flour and increasing the whole wheat flour. In the first addition, I now use 2 cups bread flour and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour. I also no longer use vital wheat gluten, as it does not seem to be needed. Note: the additional whole wheat flour seems to cover up the malt flavor. I will try it next time with white whole wheat flour.

In the second addition, I reduce the AP flour by 2 Tbs.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
        • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
        • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: Added information
      Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.