Breakfast Rice Pudding by Beachdee

Home Forums Recipes Breakfast Rice Pudding by Beachdee

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

MISC: Breakfast Rice Pudding
      Submitted by beachdee on April 25, 2004 at 6:06 pm

This is not your typical "comfort food" rich-good, runny-creamy white rice pudding. It's got all sorts of healthy-good ingredients (which I also think are tasty) and I make it to use up leftover rice as well as have a change from cold cereal for breakfast. But it's also good for dessert! It's meant to be served with a bit of milk (dairy or otherwise) or half-n-half on, so it's drier than the usual dessert kind.

• 2 1/2 cups COOKED brown rice
      • 1/4 cup tahini*
      • 1/2 cup milk (your choice)
      • 1/4 tsp salt
      • 1/2 cup raisins, chopped dates, craisins, or whatever you want
      • 2 Tblsp honey, coconut syrup, or maple syrup
      • 2 eggs, OR 1 egg + 2 egg whites, OR 4 egg whites
      • 1/2 tsp vanilla (or almond or other flavor, whatever sounds good to you)
      1/4 tsp cinnamon, OR allspice, OR cardamom, or mix as you like

* if you don't have/like tahini, substitute 1/4 cup ground, toasted sesame seeds; or 1/4 cup finely chopped or ground nuts plus 3 or 4 drops toasted sesame seed oil to give it that "warm" taste.

Grease a 1 1/2 qt. covered baking dish (i.e., Pyrex casserole)

Mix tahini and milk together in a small bowl.

In a medium bowl, combine rice, tahini/milk mix, and remaining ingredients, mixing well.

Pour mixture into baking dish and sprinkle with nutmeg, if desired. Cover dish.

Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Remove cover and bake 5-10 minutes more, or until barely set. Do not overcook or it will get dried out. Depending on your oven you may have to experiment and adjust the time until you find what works, remembering it will continue to cook slightly for the first minutes after being taken out of the oven.

Serve warm or cold with milk or a spot of cream poured over--a nutritious, delicious breakfast or snack.
      If this is too dry, and you are not fat-phobic, you could add a bit of butter or oil to the recipe. Obviously the whole egg version will have more native fat in it than egg whites.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.