Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached White Pastry Flour

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Bob’s Red Mill Unbleached White Pastry Flour

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    luvpyrpom
    Participant

I was running low on pastry flour so I thought I'd try out Bob's Red Mill brand - does anyone have any thoughts on this? And how would you store this? I could only find a 5# bag and the 3# bag I got from KAF lasted me for quite a long while like a year.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I haven't seen the Bobs Red Mill unbleached white pastry flour locally, all I can find locally is whole wheat pastry flour.

I buy KAF pastry flour several 3# bags at a time and keep the unopened bags in the freezer. I like their regular pastry flour better than their pastry blend. You can freeze an opened bag, but any flour that isn't well sealed will absorb odors in the freezer.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I keep my pastry flour in the refrigerator, in Tupperware, once it is opened. I mostly use Bob's whole wheat pastry flour, which costs less than KAF's.

Bob's Red Mill does offer free shipping, but you have to buy $50 worth of products, and it does not include 25# bags of flour, although you can buy a case of various products, and buying a case brings the price down. In addition to their whole wheat pastry flour, I've used their barley flour, whole wheat flour, brown rice, and I love their oats. I also have bought some of their whole grain cereal mix, and I like the vegi-soup packages of various lentils and peas with barley. I expect to order more from them once we move to northern Indiana.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
          aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Like Mike I use KAF pastry flour. I have unopened bags in big, plastic bins in the basement with DampRid in the bins. I keep opened bags in plastic containers in the kitchen. I tend to go through it pretty quickly as I use it weekly for waffles and pancakes.

I use cake flour and flax meal from Bob's Red Mill. I can buy both of those locally. Bob's cake flour is unbleached and not a blend like KAF. I use if for making pizza so I go through it pretty quickly as well. The local Big Y just had it on sale for $3 for 3 lbs. so I stocked up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.