Blueberry Pie Experimentation

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Blueberry Pie Experimentation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Sunday, I set out to use that quart of blueberry pie filling that did not seal. There was not enough filling for my usual pie recipe, so I pulled out an 8-inch glass pie pan, then paged through the KAF 200th anniversary cookbook and found an intriguing recipe for Buttermilk Pie Crust on p. 393 that I could scale back by 1/3 to fit my pan. It called for some whole wheat flour, so I substituted in whole wheat pastry flour. After mixing it up, I divided it into 1/3 and 2/3, wrapped the parts and refrigerated for several hours. I was worried because the dough seemed a bit dry, but it made a lovely to handle not-dry pie crust that easily rolled to 1/16th of an inch and was a dream with which to work.

I also worried about the filling because it was so watery. I ended up mixing in an additional 4 Tbs. of ClearJel (actually it is called Dutch Jel but the Amish store said they are identical) to be on the safe side. I wasn't sure about baking temperature for a prepared filling, so I looked at my other recipes that use fresh fruit and baked it at 425F for 20 minutes for the crust, then reduced the heat to 375 for 30 minutes. I saw it bubbling in the center through the design cut-outs, so out it came to cool on the rack overnight. I'll report tomorrow on the results.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

The crust was the best part of the pie. I'll use that recipe again. As for the pie--it was soup, and we will have to eat it like cobbler. Next time I try to can pie filling, I will buy ClearJel from Kitchen Krafts, even though their shipping charges are somewhat high. This "DutchJel" clearly does not hold up to repeated heating. It's not equivalent to ClearJel, as the supermarket sign said.

On Zen's Baking Circle site, Cass/Kid Pizza reminded me that I could have reduced the filling over heat until it thickened. I'm not sure why that simple solution did not occur to me. I will use it when I use the other jars that I canned. In the old days with the Baking Circle, I could always count on someone being online at almost any time of day or night who, if I posted, would have reminded me of this basic fact. I look forward to a day when we will have that on this site and perhaps on Zen's.

In the meantime, I'm taking suggestions for a catchy name for my "new" dessert sensation--pie crust served in a bowl with soupy blueberry filling ladled over it. Isn't marketing wonderful?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
        • This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.