Barley Flour

Home Forums General Discussions Barley Flour

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I want to stress that I know next to nothing about what I'm planning on typing here. All my information comes from the Internet, and some of it confuses me. So, please, if you have Chronic Kidney Disease, don't accept as fact anything I say, Ask your doctor.

This year, I was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease. Gradually, via the Internet, I've been learning that the type of foods eaten can be quite important to the health of a diseased kidney. There's something about phosphorous and potassium that confuses me.

What I gather from today's search is that I should quit adding whole wheat flour to everything I bake. It appears to me that barley flour is a safer flour to use and will give me some of the same health benefits as whole wheat flour.

I know nothing about barley flour. Can it be used in the same way as whole wheat flour? I even put 1/4 cup whole wheat flour in my pancake batter. Could barley flour substitute for whole wheat in pancakes and baked goods? I use some whole wheat flour in certain cookies, all quick breads, and some yeast breads.

I pose these questions here in case anyone knows. Also, who sells barley flour?

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Barley has gluten proteins in it, but I don't know how much gluten it has relative to wheat. The USDA database says barley flour is 9% protein, while bread flour is 12%, so it may be similar to lower protein soft what flour.

As to sources, Bobs Red Mill and Arrowhead Mills both have it, and so do various online bulk sellers. Check the natural foods/health foods aisle at the grocery store. If you have a Mexican grocery nearby, look for Harina de Machica.

Because it is a low-volume product, it is usually more expensive than wheat flour. A typical price for a 5 pound bag online appears to be around $12, plus shipping. Honeyville sells a 50 pound bag for about $44, plus shippping.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Bob's Red Mill sends out e-mails if you subscribe to their list. I was able to get free shipping on an order (there was a minimum, but I ordered other products as well), and buying in bulk can also save you money. You should refrigerate barley flour--or freeze extra bags. My husband and I just like the flavor of barley, but I have read that it also helps regulate blood sugar.

I just made some wonderful barley scones this morning, so I will post that recipe for you. Coincidentally, I was internet surfing for barley flour recipes today, so I have a couple more to try. I also posted a link to a Martha Stewart recipe for Orange Barley Bread (and the tweaks Kid Pizza suggested) that I plan to try later this week.

King Arthur Flour has a recipe for Barley Butterscotch Cookies that uses barley flakes rather than oats in cookies. They also have a wonderful recipe in their wholegrain baking book for a big soft barley cookie, that my husband has asked me to bake for Father's Day. (Those cookies need to be baked on a very heavy baking sheet, or else double-up your cookie sheets. Those cookies bake at a very high heat, and the bottoms will overbrown otherwise.)

Pearl barley is also great in soups, or even cooked to be used in place of rice. I'm going to try a new softer hull barley I bought from Bob's Red Mill in soups (probably not until fall)

It would probably be a good idea to consult a dietician/nutritionist who can help you work out a plan for your individual case.

Best wishes as you cook and bake for health!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
          • This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
          • This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: grammar correction
          Italiancook
          Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt, for your expertise and recipe suggestions. Like you, I use pearl barley in soups. I appreciate you for giving me a source for barley flour. I probably would not have known about refrigerating/freezing it if you hadn't told me!

KIDPIZZA
            Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt, for your expertise and recipe suggestions. Like you, I use pearl barley in soups. I appreciate you for giving me a source for barley flour. I probably would not have known about refrigerating/freezing it if you hadn’t told me!

ITALIANLADY:
              Hello again. Member Bakeraunt has provided you with XLNT advice. To consult with a nutrition person go visit a health food store such as WHOLE FOOD's OR SHROULD'S or check out the tel yellow pages for one . Ask to consult with & to discuss same with a nutrition person the. There you can purchase your first bag of a 21, oz BARLEY FLOUR. Yes just like Marliss explained keep flour in your FREEZER, to keep it from becoming RANCID... Prolong it's useful life & to keep the BO VE WOOLS OUT (LOL) Ask a southerner what that is...I am a YANKEE.
              I hope you do cook up a batch of VEGETARIAN BARLEY SOUP for yourself. I make my mother's recipe about 3 or 4 times per year & I place the measured portions in jars that I have saved & freeze them. I make enough for about 5 maybe 7 servings. You can make it in a slow cooker as well...no problem there.

Good luck in your cooking. & enjoy the day

~CASS/KIDPIZZA.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I like barley in soup, but my wife doesn't, so I don't cook with it much, though I do use a little barley flour in some breads. (Right now I can make any kind of bread I want, as I'm the only one eating it.)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.