Antacid in pizza dough?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls Antacid in pizza dough?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal about using a European antacid product in indian baking and pizza dough. (Basically it's baking soda and citric acid.)

See WSJ article

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

So this explains why it is popular and useful in Indian food which often has turmeric.

But pizza dough? St. Louis has pizza dough that uses baking soda as the leavening agent but what would this add to a yeast based dough? Especially if that dough is not very acidic.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

If you didn't age the dough a long time, the baking soda might provide some rise.

Has anyone seen a pizza crust recipe with double acting baking powder in it?

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Okay... so I was wrong... St. Louis pizza dough has baking powder not baking soda as the leavener. No yeast. So aging the dough wouldn't do anything for flavor. The KAF recipe is here.

It uses self-rising flour which has baking powder but it doesn't say if it is double acting or not. I was buying baking powder at the store and none of the brands listed themselves as double acting even though most had baking soda in them.

Here is another recipe. It uses flour and baking powder but no specification about the type.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

There are enzymes present that might improve flavor by aging even in an unyeasted pizza dough.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Cook's Country did St Louis style pizza a few years ago. I don't recall if they specified double acting baking powder or not. It's almost a cracker style crust and comes together real fast. I've made it and used double acting baking powder because that is what I have. It's something to keep in mind when you need a pizza but don't have a lot of time.

I found the recipe St Louis Style Pizza here. It doesn't specify double acting or single action baking powder.

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

Len, did you make this recipe? Did you use Provel cheese? I cannot find it locally and can only order it. It's kind of expensive and is a big block which is a little risky without knowing if my family would like it.

I added a little bit of provolone to the mozzarella on one pizza last Saturday and upset EVERYONE except the guy making the pizzas. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I generally use whole-milk mozzarella on pizza and lasagna, but I do like to add a sprinkle of a four-cheese blend I get at Sams Club that has Romano, Parmesan, Asiago and Provolone. My mother used to say that a pizza without some Romano cheese on it is boring.

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

I'm with you Mike. I like a mixture but my family does not necessarily agree. Sometimes my wife likes some chevre with the mozzarella but that's about it. The boys might complain but they usually eat so fast I doubt they can taste it. Some days my little girl is picky and some days she isn't. I never know what she'll like on any given day.

But I wanted Provel for the St. Louis pizza. I can get it from Amazon but it's still five pounds of cheese I don't know if anyone will like.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Aaron, I've made the crust but not the rest of the recipe. I use my own sauce (usually just pasta sauce from a jar) and usually mozzarella but I often like to mix mozzarella with Mexican Queso. The Queso is a great melter and adds a little more flavor to the pie.

Cook's Country had a work around for the Provel which is listed in the recipe on the link I provided. I didn't try it and I'm not familiar with Provel. My interest in the recipe is the crust.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I had to google Provel to find out what it is: a combination of provolone, mozzarella, and swiss cheese that has a low melting point, and bites off cleanly. It's mostly sold in Saint Louis area.

Hey, part of the fun is having the gooey, stringy cheese while eating pizza!

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

I can't find it anywhere in CT. It might be in Boston or New York. I can definitely order it from Amazon which is probably what I'll do so I can have for Super Bowl Sunday.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I saw it on Amazon too. My question is, doesn't it need refridgeration?

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Maybe it's like Velveeta or the Kraft jar cheeses, no refrigeration needed until it's opened.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.