Acorn Cookies by janiebakes

Home Forums Recipes Acorn Cookies by janiebakes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Acorn Cookies
      Submitted by janiebakes on April 12, 2007 at 12:24 pm

DESCRIPTION
      acorn cookies

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Cookies Brownies Bars

INSTRUCTIONS
      Autumn Acorns
      "Sweet Miniatures" by Flo Braker

Dough:
      8 oz unsalted butter, room temp
      1/2 c sugar
      1/4 tsp salt
      2 1/3 c unsifted all purpose flour

Decoration:
      1 lg egg
      1 oz (2 Tbl) fineground hazelnuts
      2 Tbl sugar
      1/8 tsp cinnamon

Dough: Cream the butter at med-low til smooth, 1 min. Beat in sugar and salt until well combined and slightly fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Lower speed, gradually add flour and mix just til thoroughly combined.

Preheat oven to 325. Line baking sheets with parchment. With your palms shape the dough, 1 tsp at a time, into balls. Pinch so that each ball is pointed at the bottom to form an acorn shape. Place 1/2" apart on baking sheet. Chill 15 min or just til dough is firm.

Decoration: Whisk egg til smooth. In another bowl stir together nuts, sugar and cinnamon. Take cookies from fridge. Dip the larger end of each into the egg, then the nuts, to form the cap of the acorn and replace on baking sheet.

Bake 1 sheet at a time 12 - 15 min, til cookies no longer appear shiny and feel slightly firm when lightly touched. Do not allow them to color. Place baking sheet on wire rack to cool for 5 min. Then lift cookies from parchment with a metal spatula to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Stack finished cookies in airtight metal container, separating layers with foil. Store at room temp 10 days or freeze 1 month.

Makes 7 doz 1 1/2" cookies.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I used shortening, Nutiva, which is a combination of Palm and Coconut oils. The dough was crumbly but came together as I formed the cookies. I made them larger than the recipe calls for so I didn't get anywhere near the claimed 7 dozen. I added a teaspoon of Hazelnut Flavor since this cookie has a hazelnut theme. I'm not sure if my acorn shaping skills are spot on, I think not, but the cookies came out good. Really good flavor with the addition of the hazelnut flavoring. If I didn't have hazelnut flavoring I would definitely add some kind of flavor, vanilla if nothing else. For the fine ground hazelnuts, I used Hazelnut Flour from King Arthur.

In summary, I like these, I will make them again.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by RiversideLen.
        • This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by RiversideLen.
        Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.