2021 Garden plans

Home Forums Gardening 2021 Garden plans

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

I harvested my first jalapeno today. Not expecting ripe tomatoes until late in the month.

BakerAunt
      Participant

We had enough green beans from the garden to add to dinner tonight.

The black raspberries are ending, but yesterday I picked the first two blackberries from the plants on the terrace. It looks like we may have a lot, and these are larger than those from other years, which I attribute to the good rains we received. We were hoping for some light rain yesterday and today, but we have only had misting so far.

The two kinds of squash plants (small spaghetti and honeynut butternut squash) have some flowers.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I've got close to a dozen tomatoes starting to show color, I may have ripe tomatoes to pick by next weekend.

The Aerogarden cherry tomatoes are blooming like crazy, I'm not sure if any fruit has set yet, I should know for sure in a few days.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We picked our first 3 small (4th of July) tomatoes today, there are over a dozen showing some color. We've got fruit on a number of other plants that should start ripening in a week or two, but a few days of cool weather would multiply the crop significantly.

chocomouse
            Participant

This was my deck last week. Those are bush beans in the large planter (4 ft x 15 in), although they appear to be looking for a pole to climb. The smaller planter (3 ft x 15 in)on the railing behind it has beet greens, and white plastic flatware, placed to keep the squirrels and chipmunks out, although it hasn't been real helpful this year. Stored underneath the planter are two 5-gallon pails - one holds aged horse manure from a neighboring farm, and the other has aged compost from my pile. At the end of the big planter are 3 large pots, one has 2 cucumber plants, another 2 summer squash plants, and the last has 2 zuchinni plants - which will all soon be trellised with string up the railing. The other planters on the floor have a variety of herbs. At the far end of the deck, not in the picture, is a repeat of those 2 waist-high planters, with lettuces, spinach, and scallions, and room for more succession planting of beans and beets. I love gardening on the deck. The main garden has more plants, but also is host to a bobcat, bears, fox, coyote, deer, racoons, skunks, and possums, who visit at various hours of the day and night. Everything is behind this year (except the weeds!) because the weather has been so weird - it's either raining nonstop for several days, or the temps are in the upper 80s to 90s.

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I haven't seen signs of critters nibbling at my tomato plants yet, I usually lose a few that way. Last year something (possibly the fox I see in the back yard every few days) got most of a melon.

The Wall Street Journal had an article on how suburban gardening is providing a better environment for deer, with richer foods, than what's left of the forests. In fact, in large parts of the east coast, the deer population now exceeds what it was in pre-Colonial days. Suggestions that they allow harvesting of wild deer for meat don't sit well with some folks, but I grew up in deer country and that's better than letting unskilled hunters into the woods and fields, where they sometimes shoot everything BUT the deer, including themselves.

We got nearly an inch and a quarter of rain overnight here, but I think that's all for the next week.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Your deck garden planters look nice Chocomouse.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

What a great deck garden, Chocomouse.

With most of their predators gone, deer populations keep rising, which is also a problem for the deer. Last year we found the remains of two male deer on one of our woodland properties. They had fought for territory, locked antlers, and died.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

We have green tomatoes on our tomato plants, but the plants are growing tall and spindly for some reason, and the top parts with flowers are well past the supports.

When my husband bought some trees from the Indiana DNR a few years ago, he discovered some cranberry plants that were in with one of the trees. He has been growing it ever since, and this year it has cranberries. At first, I thought, yes, nice, but today he showed me that they are now the size of regular cranberries, although naturally still green. I think my husband is hoping to have a little cranberry bog on one of the terraces. It would be neat if I could get enough for scones.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I have tiny cherry tomatoes on the plants in the Aerogarden, so they're coming along well.

chocomouse
                        Participant

A cranberry bog! That will be fun! Something new and different to learn about. Do you have a natural wet or boggy area, or will your husband need to fix up a mini-bog for them? I know nothing about growing cranberries, but have read a lot about harvesting - the old hands-on methods and the machinery that is used today. I wonder if it takes years to establish a planting? I need to do some research - not that I'll ever try growing them.

chocomouse
                          Participant

The deer have not been a huge problem on our property. However, after gardening here for 35 years, two years ago we put up an electric fence, after deer ate all our beans and most of the carrots. We have 3 cameras set up, and have not seen anything except birds and squirrels inside the fence. Right now we have a nice looking 4 point buck eating the drops from 2 of our apple trees. I think the deer prefer apples over beans, and they will be here every day until the apples are gone in Nov. They do strip the lower branches of all apples as they ripen, but that leaves plenty for us in the upper branches. We love watching them, and sometimes we have 7-8 deer at one time, at just 2 of our trees.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Chocomouse--our house sits on a sandy site--one reason the berries do so well. My husband is researching how to put some kind of tub in to create a little bog. A fellow botanist gave him the name of someone who has done a little bog, so my husband will ask the guy about what he did ad how it has worked.

The cranberry plants were in moss that was around the young trees when my husband bought them, so they were hitchhikers but welcomed ones.

Janiebakes
                              Participant

Blossom end rot and powdery mildew have reared their ugly heads. Four days of thunderstorms and nonstop rain are the culprits. The entire northern third of Ohio was under flood watch yesterday. The Cuyahoga has jumped its banks and risen nearly ten feet in places. Tomorrow they are promising sun.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

My "garden" is still looking good, spotted my first ripe tomatoes, 4th of July variety. I'll probably pick them tomorrow.

IMG_1104

Attachments:
                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 168 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.