2021 Garden plans

Home Forums Gardening 2021 Garden plans

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Janiebakes
    Participant

DH tried spraying a milk and water mix on the plants with powdery mildew a couple of days ago. It seems to be doing a lot of good. They mildew is gone on about half the leaves of the cucumbers and snow peas. He repeated the spraying today. The spray mixture is whole milk diluted 1 part milk to 2 parts water.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Len those tomatoes look good!

RiversideLen
        Participant

Thank you, Joan, I had them with lunch today, they were good. It's going to be a week or two before they start coming in in quantity.

cwcdesign
          Participant

All our tomato plants are gone - most of the plants in the community garden look the same. Beans and cucumbers are gone. The only things still doing well are the eggplants, peppers and flowers - all the peppers are some version of hot peppers. I forgot to ask Will, but I think the basil and parsley are still doing OK.

The folks who took over the one plot we've already relinquished have started setting up their beds. Will offered them the cattle panel trellises he made and they gladly took them and have already put up one of them - great for tomatoes, peas or beans. When the rest of our plants are done we will give up our current bed.

I don't think I've mentioned it, but I closed in June on the condo I've been living in - I bought it from my landlord. So, now we're figuring out what spaces are "ours" and what the limitations on putting planters on one side where we get the most sun. We didn't start tomato plant seeds soon enough for a fall crop, but we're going to focus on greens and such which should hopefully be easier than trudging to the garden.

BakerAunt
            Participant

It is looking like we will not have the bounty of tomatoes we enjoyed last year. My husband says that one is starting to ripen. In the meantime, I bought a nice tomato at the farmer's market (she uses green houses or tunnels) and had my first Bacon-Tomato sandwich yesterday with turkey bacon. I could not find the turkey bacon I liked from last year (Kroger seems to have stopped selling it), so I had to buy Oscar Meyer smoked. I would give it a B-.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Congrats on buying your condo Cwcdesign now when you pay the mortgage at least it's yours!

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

When I look at my tomato plants, the vines and leaves don't look as dense as I've seen them in other years, but usually the peak of the season starts around Labor Day so the vines could grow a lot between now and then. What we need some time in August is a cool spell long enough for the plants to blossom and set a lot of fruit, any day it hits the 90's is pretty much a no joy day as far as setting fruit is concerned.

We got our first two tomatoes that weren't Fourth of July earlier this week, an Italian Heirloom plant.

On the other hand, the cherry tomato plants in the Aerogarden are so thick I can't see whether there's any fruit ripe yet, though I see quite a few mostly pea-sized green tomatoes around the edges.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

We have spaghetti squash starts! One is rather large, and there are two smaller ones. It is taking over its section of the garden and crowding out the honeynut (small butternut squash) plant.

We lost the tomato that was starting to turn red. It was on the ground this morning and half rotten. My husband says that happens sometimes.

The snow peas and beans have been doing well.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

What's wrong with my basil? I have a pepper and parsley in the same container and both those are doing well.

IMG_1114

Attachments:
                      You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

My wife, a master gardener, says it is probably a nutrient deficiency in your basil, she just doesn't remember which one. (Google says phosphorus.) There are also some nutrients where an excess of them can cause purple splotches.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

Thanks Mike.

I did a little more research (youtube) and I found that it appears to be Downy Mildew. The solution is to plant varieties that are resistant to it. I'm going to pull it tomorrow. It's too bad too, because this plant was really doing well. I have another basil plant in another location that has not been affected, so hopefully all is not lost.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Boy, your picture didn't look anything like this site:
                            downy mildew in basil

Do you have a local extension service you can ask?

RiversideLen
                            Participant

The basil looked worse in person than it did on the pic. I pulled it. I don't know if there is an extension service near here. I still have one plant that looks good.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

We're getting more 4th of July tomatoes than we can eat right now, even though we've given a number of them away. I may have to start blanching and freezing them, I don't think I've got quite enough to justify trying to make tomato juice or sauce.

Today I picked a couple of Rutgers and a Brandywine. I've got a First Lady turning color. If we get some cooler weather, we may still get a bountiful harvest in September.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I picked 5 pounds of 4th of July tomatoes today, each one weighs about two ounces and is around 1.75 inches in diameter.

tomatoes

Attachments:
                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 168 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.