2021 Garden plans

Home Forums Gardening 2021 Garden plans

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I got 24 tomato plants into the ground today, earliest I've had that done in several years. Soil temp was up to 60. It isn't supposed to get below the 50's at night for the rest of the month, hopefully that'll be an accurate forecast.

Rain expected tomorrow and over the weekend, so I figured it was now or a week from now--at best.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Mike--are these the tomato plants that had the iron deficiency earlier?

We have lettuce coming up in the garden. The snow peas have also started to come up. We had a week of temperature getting into the frost/freeze zone at night, so the tomato and pepper plants are still in the house.

My husband saved some seed from the honeynut butternut squash that I bought at the farmers' market last year. We will try planting some and see what happens.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Several of the ones that got planted were among the ones with the iron deficiency, they seem to have rebounded well.

Recently some have developed purple leaves, if that's a deficiency I don't know what it is, but planting them in the ground should help remedy it. They're at the 24 hour mark and looking pretty perky.

Last year we lost some of the plants due to some kind of cutworm, I'd come out in the morning and the plants looked like they'd been cut off at ground level. But most of the ones that went in are large enough that I don't think they'll be as susceptible to that.

chocomouse
          Participant

My husband rototilled the garden for the 2nd time today, and next will be setting up the electric fence so I can start to plant. Our night time temps have been in the low 30-40s, down to 35 the night before last, with days only 50-60s. The next week predicts daytime highs in the upper 70s so the soil should begin warm up. We're having the floor of our deck replaced next week, and I cannot start my planters and pots there til that is done. I'm worried about our zoo residents also. I hope the woodchuck doesn't breach the electric fence. I want the possum to continue to feed on the ticks and other small pests. The turkeys can bathe in the dirt that is not planted. The racoons and skunks are fine as long as they wander only in the night-time. I am terrified of meeting up with the bear and the bobcat that patrol the property. May 15, tomorrow, is my last average frost date here, but I don't plant the more tender plants until Memorial Day. I'll have dirt under my fingernails soon!

Janiebakes
            Participant

We put in a raised bed garden this year, previous years used large pots and planters. The peas went in late and are just now coming up. Lettuce, parsley, onion starts and red cabbage doing well. Last year we planted seeds I saved from the grocery store butternut squash. Grew mounds of vines, very few flowers and not fruit. May have been some kind of hybrid. Highlight of the garden for me this year is a pot of potatoes we planted with our two year old granddaughter. Every time she comes over we add a little more dirt to the pot and wait for the stems to grow out again. Can't wait to show her how to pinch some new potatoes out from under the plant.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Here's the tomato garden 3 1/2 days after planting. All 24 plants seem to be doing well.

garden

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We decommissioned the Aerogarden last week, the lettuce on both sides had pretty much bolted. But we got about 4 1/2 months of lettuce from it.

We're still cleaning and sanitizing it for the next crop. We need to clean around it, as well, the dill that was in the herb kit went to seed, so we've got a big bag of dill seed for pickling and dill pollen all over the windowsill and floor. I never knew dill put out that much pollen!

We've got some tomato plants that came with the Aerogarden kit, we may try those next, they're bush cherry tomatoes and I didn't plant any of those outdoors. I'm thinking I may start around 6 tomatoes and put some spinach in the other slots on that side, spinach grows faster than tomatoes do, so by the time the tomatoes start blocking the light, the spinach may be pretty much done.

My son has been growing strawberries in one of his Aerogardens, we may try that as well. Might start a lettuce crop again after the farmers market season ends, right now we're kind of lettuced out.

chocomouse
                  Participant

We had 94* yesterday and 96* today; our average for this time of year is low 70s. I am so glad I have not put any seedlings outside yet - they would be cooked. We are in a moderate drought, so no burn permits issued, and no rain in sight. I'm afraid to think about what the summer season might be like. However, I did go to the Plant Pantry and bought more plants this afternoon -- no masks!! Oh my! Amazing to see smiles again!

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I started a new Aerogarden today, 6 bush cherry tomato plants and 6 spinach. The spinach should be fairly fast growing and doesn't have a long harvest window, so by the time the tomatoes are starting to crowd them out of the light, the spinach should be running out of steam. We're still thinking we may try strawberries in the other garden and possibly start some lettuce some time this fall.

My wife got two eggplants that will go in the garden tomorrow and we found a fairly big rosemary at Costco to replace the one we tried to winter indoors. (We've seldom had one last all winter, usually we forget about it and it runs out of water at some point.)

cwcdesign
                      Participant

Our squash is producing well. The cucumbers too. Tomatoes are beginning to ripen - we’ve had a couple of cherry tomatoes to eat. On Saturday, Will has plenty of squash, greens and cucumbers to share with the three families. We brought home more yesterday and he put out a call to them and no response. He just brought more squash home now. The beans are budding again and the eggplants are huge and beginning to fruit. I chalk it up to good seeds and Will’s excellent care. We are really enjoying the taste and I would buy the same seeds again.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

My Burpee plants arrived last week and I put them in my planters yesterday. I have 3 tomatoes, Early Girl, Fourth of July and something called Fresh Salsa. One jalapeno and one sweet pepper. Two each of basil and parsley. It doesn't sound like a lot but if it all produces it should be enough.

garden-2‑a

garden-1‑a

Attachments:
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

When I've grown parsley, it didn't seem to yield much. Basil does.

We've got five 4th of July tomatoes in and they're looking pretty good, but the ones I have the biggest hopes for are the First Lady. This is an offshoot of Early Girl, as I recall, it produces tomatoes that are a bit bigger than a tennis ball and good eating. It can be a prolific producer, one year we put in 3 plants and in early September we were picking anywhere from 40 to 80 tomatoes EVERY DAY. My wife was selling them at her Labor Day garage sale at like 4 for $1.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I usually do pretty good with parsley. Once it gets established it's a pretty tough plant. Maybe it likes the climate here.

With the up and down weather we've been having I was concerned that my peaches might not make it. I took a look at it today, it's loaded with small fruit. Of course it has a ways to go yet. The fruit never get too big, the tree was started from a pit from a store bought peach by my neighbor's father in law. But I still enjoy having the tree. The peaches always get stolen by the local wildlife.

peachTree‑2

Attachments:
                              chocomouse
                              Participant

I think they look good enough to eat now! Such a healthy looking tree -- good job Len.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

Love your peach tree, Len! I shared the photo with Will because he's been propagating pineapple tops and native plants (weeds to some). He thought it was great.

We've had a bout of powdery mildew, but we seem to have come through it thanks to Will's diligence. The cucumbers did not succumb and they are one of the powdery mildew resistant seeds I bought. He's had to pull a couple of cherry tomato plants because they wilted - looks like it is bacterial wilt, so it was a good thing. Hopefully, he can stop it from spreading to other plants. We should have eggplants in a few days.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 168 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.