2021 Garden plans

Home Forums Gardening 2021 Garden plans

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

We may have gotten our last tomatoes as the plants keep dying. But we still have lots of cucumbers, eggplant, squash and basil. We have peppers but Will just picked his first fully ripe (red) Cajun Bell pepper - supposed to be hot but not too hot.

RiversideLen
      Participant

My garden is progressing nicely. I planted in the last week of May and everything looks good right now. I have tomatoes and peppers on the vines, the basil is doing great and the parsley is doing well.

grdn7‑2

grdn2‑7–2

grdn3‑7–2

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I've got tomatoes on quite a few of my plants, the 4th of July ones have nice clusters of them, but they're not starting to ripen yet, so they won't make their eponymous target.

The cherry tomatoes I planted indoors in the Aerogarden are starting to bloom, haven't seen any fruit that has set yet. But I may have cherry tomatoes by the end of July.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

RiversideLen,your peppers and tomatoes look beautiful!Nice!

BakerAunt
            Participant

Wow! Great garden, Len!

Our tomato plants started blooming this week, and we have some teeny tomatoes starting. The pepper plants are blooming as well, and the two kinds of squash are getting ready to bud. My husband thinks we may have beans by next week. For some reason, the snow peas are not producing as rapidly this year. The black raspberries on the front terrace continue to produce, so I should have enough for a second batch of jam next week. Some of the blueberries have ripened--we have snagged three but critters (probably birds) have grabbed the others before we can pick them. I am buying bird netting for next year.

cwcdesign
              Participant

Len, your vegetables look beautiful.

Will is still bringing home lots of vegetables. Sadly, most of the tomatoes have had to come home to finish ripening, but at least we have them. We are down to one plant out of 27 that Will is leaving just so some can ripen there - the bacterial blight and powdery mildew have hit most of the gardens at the community - even our neighbor whose tomatoes lasted a little longer than ours.

The cucumbers are still prolific - Bush Slicer from Rene's Garden if anyone is interested - you can grown them in a container and they are delicious. He's been making lots of refrigerator B&B pickles. I'm going to make my Mom's cucumber mousse, probably tomorrow.The eggplant is still doing well, we got some more beans and still getting some squash. Because of the rain, Will has stopped his proactive maintenance.

We gave up the one empty plot a couple of weeks ago and the new couple has already started. When our production is finished on the current one, we will give that up as well. The other members of our group are having success at home with some tomato plants which is encouraging. I'm glad we tried at the community garden, but also glad we knew when to quit. It's a real incubator for all those diseases that circulate via the wind.

chocomouse
                Participant

Gardening is very discouraging this year. We are/were in a drought, for months. This past week, we had 3 days with temps of 89, followed by 4 days with temps of 90, followed by, so far, 2 days of constant rain, over 2 inches, and more predicted for tomorrow. I had lettuce, now beaten down by the rain, but think I can still harvest some. The beans are growing, 10-12 inches high, so should flower soon. The flowers we had on the tomatoes and peppers fell off with the heat, but more will grow. The weeds? Oh, yeah! they love it. But the gardener doesn't pull weeds in the heat or the rain. I'll try to get some photos next week.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I managed to get in enough time over two mornings and one evening to get all the big weeds pulled in the tomato patch, hopefully I can keep it clean with shorter stints. Hot is the order of the day here for the next week or two.

Janiebakes
                    Participant

Len, your basil looks fabulous. We have been riding the temperature roller coaster. Four/five days close to 90 followed by a huge rain and a couple of days where the low is in the 50's. Our basil is bolting from the heat and discoloring from the cold.

chocomouse
                      Participant

BakerAunt, a word of caution about bird netting for the blueberries. For about 25 years, we used tobacco netting; until it wasn't big enough to cover the row (10 plants, 50 ft row) and we couldn't find more to buy. So we tried bird netting (and also used it on our cherry trees). The holes in the netting are big enough to allow the netting to slip down over the berries - so the berries and some leaves get tangled/caught in the netting, with the berries on the outside, easy to be reached by the birds! We ended up getting greenhouse shade cloth through a local nursery. It was cut to our specifications (it comes 18 feet wide, and we bought 70ft), the edges were bound with heavy tape, and grommets put in every 10 feet so we could stake it to the ground. Then my husband built a simple structure, using metal fence posts topped with slats to drape the netting over. The bushes are now 6 ft tall, so is the supporting structure, and I can stand up under it to pick. The shade cloth we chose lets 70% of the sunlight through it, and is what nurseries commonly use over their greenhouses in summer to limit the sunshine. We put the shadecloth up just before the berries ripen (will do it this week) and take it down to store in the garden shed as soon as we have finished picking. It was expensive, but has been an excellent investment. If you don't have so many bushes, maybe you could look at a craft or fabric shop for some kind of netting, or tulle, or ?? If your only option is bird netting, I highly recommend some kind of structure to keep the netting off the bushes. I'll try to post a picture of ours this week.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

A google search for 'tobacco netting' comes up with a few possibilities for where to get some.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Thanks for suggesting that, Mike; it's interesting to see all the choices available now. Back in the early 2000's, the use of greenhouse shade cloth by home gardeners was a new concept.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

Will went to the garden last night and brought the last of the tomatoes 😢 there may be a few more - the squash bugs have gotten into the squash, so Saturday or Sunday we will go clean out those beds. The cucumbers, beans and eggplant are still going strong as well as the flowers.

we're trying to figure out if we have enough morning sun for vegetables here. ironically, we seem to have less morning sun right now than in the spring.

Janiebakes
                              Participant

Sometimes we buy the "Living lettuce" that is hydroponically grown and comes with the root still attached. We found out that if you cut the root off and replant it, it will grow another complete head of lettuce. Cut that one off leaving the root in the ground and it will grow some more leaves but not a complete head.

Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                BakerAunt
                                Participant

Chocomouse--thank you for the advice about covering our blueberry bushes. At the moment, our bushes are only a little over 3 feet tall. I was able to pick a few more blueberries once we returned. I think all the holiday action at the neighbors kept the bird snatching to a minimum. My husband is familiar with shade cloth. We will see what we can prepare for next year.

My husband harvested the first two green beans. He also harvested additional snow peas, although these are not producing as well as in the past. All of the tomato plants have small green tomatoes. the squash plants are taking off, and there should be some blossoming soon. We are hoping for additional rain in a couple of days.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 168 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.