What are you Cooking the week of November 4, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of November 4, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Where did the summer go, it's November already!

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

And only 18 days until Thanksgiving!

Joan Simpson
        Participant

No real cooking here today,chicken noodle soup out of the can and grilled cheese sandwich.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For Sunday dinner, I roasted six chicken legs on a rack in the roaster pan, so that the fat would drip below them. In a separate pan, I roasted chunks of peeled sweet potatoes rubbed in olive oil and drizzled with maple syrup. The chicken turned out fine. The glaze on the sweet potatoes was slightly overdone. I used to make this recipe with everything on a sheet pan, but due to the low saturated-fat regimen I must currently follow, I must no longer do that. The juices from the chicken used to keep the maple syrup on the sweet potatoes from being overdone. Next time, I'll wait and drizzle the maple syrup on the sweet potatoes midway through the roasting.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Tuna salad for supper here.

The more I read about saturated vs unsaturated fats, the less I'm sure of. :sigh:

BakerAunt
              Participant

Mike--with all the food/nutrition info, we just do the best we can with the information that we have--and try not to think about all the information in the past that was wrong. Sigh.

We had a pound of hamburger from the farmers’ market in the freezer—bought before I learned about my high cholesterol. We decided to use our charcoal grill one more time this season (we’ve only used it once) and use up the hamburger in style, so my husband grilled hamburgers. To go with them, I made one last batch of All-American Potato Salad (Cooks’ Illustrated recipe). I had been saving the Mountain Rose potatoes from the farmers’ market for it. I also found the German pickles we like at Tuesday Morning when we were in South Bend in October; without those, and their juice, the potato salad is not worth making. So, we have a summertime dinner on what will likely be the last temperate, non-rainy day of the week—and even now, the rain is making its way towards us. A freeze is predicted for Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

I also soaked mixed beans and barley last night and cooked them today for soup, but I did not get the soup made today. I'll make it tomorrow. I'm thinking of using the beans for two separate soups, so that I can make one spicier for me.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Tuesdays, I used the mixed beans and barley I cooked yesterday to make two different soups. For my husband, who cannot tolerate hotter spices, I sautéed a little onion, some red bell pepper, and celery in olive oil, then added sliced mushrooms and a bit of garlic. After adding half of the defatted chicken drippings from a couple of days ago, I added half the beans and 1 tsp. Penzey’s Herbs de Provence. For me, I used more sautéed onion, bell pepper, and celery, then garlic and half the defatted chicken drippings. I added half the beans, two small cans of chopped tomatoes with chilies (bought before I realized I would have to give up tortilla chips due to the saturated fat content), and 1 tsp. Penzey’s Salsa and Pico that I bought during a promotion. It definitely gave a zippiness that I crave in a bean soup.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I'm making a big pot of potato leek soup for supper, half or more of it will go in the freezer.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I made spaghetti squash with pizza toppings, and a green salad. Plenty of leftovers for the next few days.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I baked a ham,fresh broccoli and cheese with a baked potato.The ham was almost 7 pounds so we'll have lots of ham sandwiches,stir fry's etc.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic bread tonight.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Tonight we had stewed squash with onions,green beans and baked ham.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Dinner tonight was venison steaks, wild rice, broccoli, and green salad.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Rotisserie chicken, mashed taters, fresh asparagus, carrots and Halloween candy.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

On Friday afternoon, I roasted the white pumpkin that I bought a few weeks ago at the farmers’ market. It has a paler interior than typical pumpkins, and the puree looks like applesauce with a very pale, yellow color. I’ll try baking with it and see how the flavor is.

For Friday dinner, I adapted a recipe from About Farm Fresh To You: Delicata Squash, Kale and Shitake Rice Pilaf. Here's the link:

http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/recipes/209/delicata-squash--kale-and-shiitake-rice-pilaf

I made enough changes to make it a different recipe. I deleted the cumin and chili powder. I used the ubiquitous white mushrooms, and I used a yellow onion. I also used powdered sage rather than fresh. I cooked my rice in the rice cooker in homemade chicken stock, then mixed everything together at the end. It tastes good and has a nice appearance on the plate. The roasted delicata squash does not have much flavor, but the presentation is nice. I think that the recipe would also be good with roasted butternut squash.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.