What are you cooking the week of May 13, 2018

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of May 13, 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a thread for the week's cooking.

My wife has requested crab and lobster for Mother's day, so we're doing king crab for lunch and lobster for supper. But first we're going to the farmer's market and getting her free donut at LaMars.

Happy Mother's day to the mothers, grandmothers and other women visitors to this site!

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Today I made a beef round roast.

BakerAunt
        Participant

For Sunday dinner, I made Maple-Glazed Pork Roast, a recipe from Cook's Illustrated (March/April 2003), mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Both the king crab and the lobster were excellent, I think my wife preferred the lobster, I like them both, but crab is a lot more work to eat. I did the crab in the microwave, I butter poached the lobster tails after removing them from the shell.

navlys
            Participant

Even though I am not my husband's mother ( says he) he did grill the swordfish kabobs that I marinated and skewered in between wilted bay leaves with lemon juice and olive oil. I also made the orzo salad with feta and tomatoes and basil. Per my directions the swordfish was grilled perfectly. (I am bad.)

BakerAunt
              Participant

I need to shake up my lunch menus, so on Monday I made Smashed Chickpea Salad, using the recipe at Smitten Kitchen:

I used yellow rather than red onion, since that is what I have in the house, but red onion would be better. I used a couple tsp. of lemon juice and no zest. (Really--how much is "juice of one lemon?) Instead of olive oil, I used some Ken's Simply Vinaigrette that is sitting in the refrigerator. I had some of the smashed chickpea salad spread on a slice of toast, then a little on the side with some of my cheese crackers. It is a good addition of my lunch rotation--where I can go slightly wild--since my husband and I do not eat the same menu at lunch (nor at breakfast for that matter). He does not care for chickpeas, but I enjoy them. I have enough for a couple more lunches.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Today I roasted two turkey breast tenders that I've had marinating in honey and Worcestershire sauce since Saturday. (These are for my lunches, so I don't need to worry about the small amount of garlic in the sauce.)

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Light supper here toast and eggs.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Today I fried cube steak,baked sweet potato,and ford hook lima beans and rest of left over beets.

chocomouse
                      Participant

This afternoon I made Ben and Jerry's Coconut Ice Cream, using their Sweet Cream Base #1, except that I used half and half instead of heavy cream. I know it is isn't as rich and creamy as using heavy cream, but it's still rich, delicious and better than store-bought.

navlys
                        Participant

I had some miso in the refrigerator that I wanted to use up so I looked for a recipe on line. I found out despite the reviews not every recipe is a winner. Or it could have been me. However I think the addition of the sambal oelek was the culprit in this chicken miso recipe from "my recipes".

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Navlys I had to look miso up ,never tried it or had any idea what it was.

Tonight I had about 2 cups of frozen spaghetti meat sauce in freezer defrosted that and added a tablespoon of tomato paste and cooked on low till it was quite thick and used that to make a pizza.Made a crust from a recipe I found it said no need to let rise but I made it up and left on the counter several hours,if it got to rising too much I deflated it and let it go again.The dough was good and I pressed it in a 12 inch pizza pan,sauteed some sausage,then chopped onions,bell pepper,chopped black olives,pepperoni and two kinds of cheese mozzarella and parmesan.Baked it at 425 for 15-20 minutes it was excellent.I haven't made one in a long time was very happy and now full.

navlys
                            Participant

Last night I made another pork tenderloin recipe from Milk St. So far the recipes have been spot on and delicious. I borrowed the cookbook from the library.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Thanks for letting us know, Navlys, that the Milk Street Cookbook is a good one.

I'm doing another sheet pan dinner tonight--whole chicken legs and peeled, cut-up Russet potatoes, drizzled with olive oil (or rubbed with it in the case of the potatoes), then sprinkled with Penzey's Poultry Seasoning and their Sweet Curry. I roast for an hour at 400F. We will have either steamed broccoli or peas with it.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Sauteed some boneless pork chops then added chopped onion and some water simmered for a couple hours then added BBQ sauce to make a gravy,mashed potatoes and garden pea salad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.