What are You Baking the Week of September 10, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of September 10, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

This morning I baked bran muffins with dried cranberries. The recipe came from a jar of Kretschner wheat bran (back in the dark ages when you had to buy it in a glass jar in the supermarket). I've made a few changes by reducing the sugar a bit, as well as the baking soda and salt. I made them as six jumbo muffins, and I'll freeze some.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I made Vienna bread on Monday.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Tuesday afternoon, I baked another new recipe, "Currant and Spice Oatmeal Cookies." The recipe, by Sally Siegel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, appeared in the "Too Busy to Cook?" feature in Bon Appetit (August 2002), pp 106-107. I substituted dried blueberries for the currants. I also substituted in 1/3 cup of white whole wheat flour. (Total flour is 1 2/3 cups.) The spice is cardamom, cinnamon, allspice, and vanilla. These are a flat chewy cookie, so no more than a dozen per baking sheet. The recipe made forty-five cookies when dropped with a Zeroll #40 scoop.

Addendum: After tasting them, I would cut back the cardamom to 1/4 tsp. or perhaps delete it. It overpowers the blueberries and the other spices.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
          BakerAunt
          Participant

For breakfast on Wednesday morning, I baked "Ginger Scones," a recipe from La Brea Bakery in Los Angeles that was printed in Bon Appetit's R.S.V.P. column (January 2000), p. 30, in response to a reader's request. I had marked the recipe as one to try because I have some diced crystallized ginger. I followed the recipe except that I substituted in 3/4 cup of whole wheat pastry flour (total flour 2 1/4 cup), I used 1/4 tsp. Penzey's dried lemon peel (fresh lemons are a lot more expensive here), and I stirred the ginger into the mixture after I cut in the butter, instead of trying to incorporate it after adding the heavy cream. The recipe uses a food processor to cut in the butter, but I did it with my hand-held pastry cutter. The scones are light and buttery with the lightest of ginger flavor. They are excellent warm. I'll see how they are cold tomorrow morning, but this recipe goes into my scone treasure trove.

I think that packed amid my books, is the La Brea Bakery cookbook. I'll have to explore some of their other recipes.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I made a Lemon Chess pie today with a pie crust I had made and had been in the freezer a couple months.Wasn't sure how it would do, but it was fine.The pie is so good and lemony almost like a lemon curd.The pie crust was one I got off the net called Sylvia's perfect pie crust and Ree Drummond from The Pioneer Woman always uses it.I've never made a scone BakerAunt must give them a try someday.

chocomouse
              Participant

Today I made a ham and cheese braid for my husband to take to a potluck. Yesterday I made two loaves of our usual whole grain sandwich bread.

BakerAunt
                Participant

For dinner tonight, I made pizza, using the KAF Ultra-Thin Crust recipe. I've not made it here in Indiana before, and I did not know how well the old avocado green stove would do with my pizza stone. I need not have worried. The pizza came out great.

Italiancook
                  Participant

For the first time, I made KAF apple cake with brown sugar frosting (not the exact title). I thought black walnuts would go good with apple. Mistake. Black walnuts have too strong a taste. I didn't like the brown sugar frosting. I couldn't really taste the cake because of the black walnuts and frosting. What I like a lot about the cake is that it does not use baking powder, only baking soda.

BevM
                    Participant

I've made this recipe several times and enjoyed it. The family also liked it as well. However, the frosting is overly sweet so I made adjustments after the first time. I only made half the recipe and spread it thin like a glaze. Much better that way. Didn't use nuts since no one besides me likes nuts in their desserts. What kind of apples did you use?

BakerAunt
                      Participant

This afternoon, I baked a new recipe: Almond Flour Shortcakes from KAF:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/almond-flour-shortcakes-recipe

The directions were altered after I copied the recipe, when a reviewer pointed out a math error. I ended up confused, so my biscuits were flatter than they should have been.

I'll report back later on taste and texture. I plan to use them for strawberry shortcakes.

Addendum: They are rather heavy and dense, maybe because I patted the dough too thin due to the confusion. My husband thought they were fine, but I'm not certain that I would bother making them again.

Rascals1
                        Participant

Was going to make banana nut bread but didn't have enough brown sugar. Started to make some and couldn't remember how much molasses per cup of sugar for light brown or dark brown sugar so will go to the store before I bake it.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I think the usual ratio is 2 tablespoons per cup for light brown sugar, double that for dark brown.

Rascals1
                            Participant

Thank you Mike for quick response.

Italiancook
                              Participant

Bev, I think the apple cake would taste better with just a glaze, as you do it, instead of so much frosting. I've also been thinking that it'd taste good with a confectioner's frosting that was mixed with some maple syrup instead of all milk.

I used Fuji apples. I don't think the apples were a problem. It was the cup of black walnuts. But next time, I'll probably try Granny Smith.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

If you can find fresh (current crop) Golden Delicious, you might try those. (IMHO they don't store well, so I only use them when I'm pretty sure they're fresh.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.