What are You Baking the Week of July 30, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of July 30, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Tonight I am baking hot cross buns with blueberries that we picked on Friday.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

Sunday afternoon I baked a banana cake with peanut butter frosting. I used KAF recipe for banana cupcakes, but followed their directions for turning it into an 8" cake. It is good, but I prefer this recipe as cupcakes.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Italian Cook: Do you prefer it as cupcakes because of the texture?

Italiancook
          Participant

As cupcakes, this recipe makes a good-sized cupcake. As cake, the layers are thin. The cake has the peanut butter filling between the layers and on top. I didn't frost the sides. With the cake, there's so much of the frosting that it's difficult to taste the banana flavor. The cupcakes have a much better banana taste, because they don't have as much frosting. The banana taste is good, so I prefer this recipe as cupcakes.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Baked some chocolate chip cookie bars today was good and stayed soft,called for 2 cups of chocolate chips and I used one and half cups and that was a little too much for me,baked in 9x13 pan.I found some seven grain cereal to use for some bread will be doing that soon.Not a lot of baking here cause it's so dang hot.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Thanks, Italian Cook for the additional analysis. I've often thought that some recipes work better as cupcakes than as cakes, and that some cake recipes would not make the best cupcakes.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I made hoagie rolls today in preparation for tomorrow's meals. I forgot to put the butter in the dough, it was still in the microwave. I hadn't use the sandwich roll pan in a while and probably didn't oil it enough, the rolls stuck badly to the perforations in the pan, but I was able to get them off without too much damage.

BevM
                  Participant

Yesterday, even though it was too hot to bake, I made the Clonmel Double Crusty Bread with substitutions suggested by BakerAunt (omitted the vinegar and used half water/half buttermilk). I used my bread machine for mixing and kneading but only made half the recipe since I am cooking for one. I made a freeform loaf since it didn't appear to fit in either the 9x5 or 8x4 loaf pan. It was one of the best loaves of bread I have made in a long time. The crumb is so nice and the egg wash made a gorgeous golden brown crust. I will be using it for sandwiches and toast.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I'm glad that the buttermilk version came out well for you Bev. I'm planning on baking this bread again soon.

Tonight I fed my sourdough starter that I brought from Texas two weeks ago in its own little ice chest. I meant to do a feeding sooner, but it has been hectic. It perked right up. I used the discard to make dough for a single recipe of my Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I usually make a double recipe, but I worried that it might stress the starter by using too much of it at once. I did unpack my stand mixer and use it. I will bake the crackers on Friday. I think that that the dough benefits from a couple days rest in the refrigerator.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Thursday morning, I tried a new recipe, "Snowdrop Brownies," a recipe by Stephanie Coon of Juneau, Alaska from the "Too Busy to Cook?" feature in Bon Appetit (March 1993), p. 126. It called for 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa. I used up some double-dutch and filled the rest of the measuring cup with Ghirardelli baking cocoa. I also added 1 tsp. espresso powder and walnuts. I baked it at the temperature given and used an 8-inch glass pan, as specified. At the end of the 25 minutes, the sides were done, but the center was clearly under baked, so I baked it another 5 minutes, and then the center looked done. However, it still sank a bit, and the sides looked a bit overdone. I'm thinking it might have baked more evenly in a 9-inch square pan. In looking closely at the picture, I now see that the center does appear to be slightly sunken. I missed it because they show some of the cut brownies on a platter--perhaps to hide the sinking. (Darn those food stylists.) We had them for dinner, and they are delicious and of a smooth consistency. I find them a bit less sweet than many brownies, and I like that. The white chocolate chips do get lost; I see them but do not really taste them.

BevM
                        Participant

Again, it was too hot to bake but since my granddaughter was coming over to help me with some things, I baked one of her favorites --- a recipe from King Arthur, Blueberry Buckle Coffeecake. It was good as usual and she took part of it home with her. I also shared some of the Clonmel bread that I baked the day before.
                          BakerAunt, the Snowdrop Brownies sound delicious. My family loves brownies of any kind!

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I made chocolate souffle today, using a Mary Berry recipe. It isn't a screamingly CHOCOLATE dessert, next time I think I'd also make some kind of sauce, like an Anglaise sauce.

skeptic7
                            Participant

I did an apple pie in my favorite cast iron pan. This is a tried and true recipe for me, it doesn't look pretty but is always well received. I also did a zuchinni cornbread, that started with an all corn Southern cornbread, but substitued grated zuchinni for the buttermilk. This was made for a vegan friend who was going to be at the same party. I was surprised at how willing other people were to eat it. I thought that Fran who combines raw food veganism with a desire to avoid gluten would be the only person to like it. I think that the whole gluten free fad is silly, especially for people who not only aren't allergic but genuinely like bagels.
                              I also did a whole wheat rosemary focaccio which was boring but useful. Its been too hot to do much baking in general, but last weekend was fairly pleasant.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Today I made donut muffins/holes and a batch of Pao de Queijo (gluten-free Brazilian Cheese Rolls)

The donut muffins/holes are mostly road food for my son and his family, they leave for home Saturday morning.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I baked my Oat-Cinnamon Scones Friday evening for breakfast over the next few days. I only remembered the cinnamon chips after the dough was together, so I mixed them in as best I could. As an experiment, I used 2/3 pastry flour and 1/3 whole wheat pastry flour.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.