Pi Day is coming (Wed March 14th)

Home Forums General Discussions Pi Day is coming (Wed March 14th)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

March 14th is Pi Day (Wednesday, 3/14). What are you planning to do to celebrate it?

I'm probably going to both a savory and a sweet pie.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I have promised my husband a pumpkin pie for Pi Day.

cwcdesign
        Participant

We get a list of national food days from Culinary so we can highlight something on our menus. When I went to see if pi day was on it (it was not - potato chip day was). I mentioned it to our chef and she didn’t know about it (different home country)so I explained it. She liked the idea, but I don’t think we can do anything this year - whoever made the list probably didnt connect pi with pie - maybe next year.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I'm thinking about a pizza pie.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I got some pie cherries out of the freezer, but I'm not sure if I'll get a cherry pie made tomorrow, it might be later in the week.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I made the pumpkin pie last night, and we went ahead and sliced into it at lunch. It looks like dinner is going to be my Town Meeting Chicken [Turkey] pie, which is actually the filling in my deep pan with whole wheat biscuits on top.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I have a small cherry pi in the oven.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

No pi here ?☹️

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I ended up doing a souffle today, which is sort of like a pie, it's baked, has kind of a crusty exterior and a soft center. 🙂

I tried two sauces, one was a canned low-sodium mushroom soup, which was really bland, but better if I added some potassium salt and pepper to it. The other was a bell pepper sauce, which I usually do starting with a Bechamel sauce, but today I tried it in a brown roux veloute made with chicken stock, to which I added some dried mustard and a dash of sherry. I thought it was quite good, lighter than when made with the bechamel.

I think if I combined the two, it'd make a decent soup, so that's what I may do with the leftover sauces. Souffle actually reheats in a microwave very well, so my wife will take some of that for lunch tomorrow.

My cherries weren't thawed enough to use yet, so I'll make that pie in a day or two.

BakerAunt
                      Participant
                        Joan Simpson
                        Participant

No pie today.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.