Penzey\‘s

Home Forums General Discussions Penzey\‘s

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    navlys
    Participant

I just noticed that Penzey's spices have an expiration date stamped under the rim of their jars. I purchased rosemary leaves a year ago and they are pretty much faded and dry. I remember purchasing McCormick's rosemary before and it lasted quite a while. Don't mean to blaspheme here but I was just wondering out loud.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Spice vendors would like you to believe you need to replace all your herbs and spices once a year, if not more frequently. I don't do that, and neither do any of the professional chefs I know. (There is a noticeable difference between fresh herbs and dried ones, but once they're dried, the rate of change seems to be quite slow to me.)

I do think the type of container and where it is stored affects potency, though. In particular, the 'flip open' jars seem to dry out faster than the screw lid ones. And if you store them at the back of the stove or in a cabinet that is close to a heat source, then I'm sure they probably do dry out faster.

I do think that Penzy's may do a better job of pulling out-of-date items from their shelves than your typical grocery store does, but that assume you can find freshness dates on them at all. (Not every herb or spice has them, though most have tracking codes.)

And if you buy herbs and spices that are stored in bulk and weighted out when you buy them, who knows how long they've been there?!

BakerAunt
        Participant

It also helps to store the spices away from light. I was always bemused by the spice racks in sunny kitchens.

I also do not throw out spices after a year. I will smell them, and sometimes if I know one is older, I use more.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.