Changing Dish Size ?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Changing Dish Size ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I'm going to try a yeast coffee cake on Sunday morning. It requires the baker mix all the ingredients, including the yeast. The dough goes into a 9" x 13" dish for only 1 rise.

I'm thinking I can make this as 2 - 9" square dishes so I have one for the freezer. Do you think I can successfully make this dish sizing change? Thanks!

Here's a link to the recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/17402/butterkuchen/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=search%20results&clickId=cardslot%201

The photo doesn't look great, but a Hungarian woman made something by this name when I was a teen, and it tasted good.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Italian Cook:

The area of the 13x9 inch pan is 117 square inches.
        The area of one 9x9 inch pan is 81, so two would be 162 square inches.

I do not think that you will get the depth of coffee cake you want with those pans.

If you have two 8x8 inch pans, then 64 + 64 = 128, which is closer to what the 13x9 pan would be.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Italiancook
        Participant

BakerAunt, thanks for teaching me how to figure pan/dish size. Duh on me. I pulled out my dishes so I'm ready for baking tomorrow morning. Turns out my square dishes are 8 x 8, not 9 x 9, so based on your calculations, I'm going to make 2 square dishes of the Butterkuchen and hope for the best. I'll let y'all know tomorrow how this turns out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.