What are you Cooking the Week of January 21, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of January 21, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

Spaghetti, meatballs and broccoli.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I had some potato soup and the leftover pork chop from the other day, Diane had chicken noodle soup.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Years ago, King Arthur emailed newsletters, and one had a recipe for Town Meeting Chicken Pie. It became a favorite of ours, but it makes copious use of butter in the filling and the biscuit topping, so I stopped making it. I tried one version a couple of years ago, but the problem was the biscuit topping. I decided to try again on Tuesday. The original recipe made a large pan, but I cut it in half and used a 9 x 9-inch ceramic baking dish. I made the white sauce using some avocado oil and 1% milk. For the topping, I pulled out the scone recipe that Bon Appetit published in a special issue on Scotland. These scones use just 1 Tbs. oil. So I made my adaptation, which is half barley, and put those biscuits on top of the hot filling. It worked very well, and the recipe is close to the original with much less saturated fat, so I will make it again whenever I have about 3 cups of leftover chicken.

I do have a question for the group. I used to use Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry when a recipe, like by Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup or this Chicken Pie, calls for it for flavoring. I used up the bottle, and all I could find at the liquor store in our small town was Taylor Cream Sherry. When I used it in my black bean soup last fall, I had to use double the amount, and I still did not think that the taste came through, but I attributed it to having used more of the black bean broth. However, I noticed the same thing with the Chicken Pie.: I used double the amount, but the flavor does not come through. It would seem that the Harvey's has more sustained flavor than the Taylor's. Has anyone else who is familiar with different kinds of sherry noted a difference?

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry is a deeply rich sherry, Taylor is OK for a domestic product, but doesn't have that intense flavor profile and I don't think it is quite as sweet, though I can't find a sugar content for it online. I prefer a dry sherry for cooking rather than a cream sherry.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Thanks, Mike. It's the intense flavor that I missed, and adding more did not fix that issue. I will need to figure out where I can buy a bottle of Harvey's for cooking. I've always used the cream sherry because that is what my mother used, and I liked the flavor, particularly in chicken soups.

RiversideLen
              Participant

BA, I think you should be able to buy it at Binny's online, they could ship it to you. Of course, shipping would cost a few dollars.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I had venison sausage and a big salad.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Thanks, Len, I'll look at Binny's.

For dinner tonight, we had some of the leftover chicken and biscuits. I wrote up the recipe for myself today, and I am calling it Scottish Scone-Topped Chicken Pot Pie.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Our dinner was pork chops and roasted veggies.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We had mac and cheese tonight, Diane's got a sore throat and didn't want anything with rough edges.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

Pork chop, rice and red cabbage.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I had chicken salad and a salad.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

We finished up the Chicken Pie with Biscuits and the Apple Cobbler.

I made applesauce on Thursday. It made two quarts, which I froze in separate containers. I probably have enough apples for at least two more batches. I like to be able to pull it out in the summer when the bonus kids visit, and I also want to have some for Easter.

navlys
                              Participant

For happy hour I'm going to try Chimichurri meatballs. I'm cheating and using frozen meatballs but making the sauce.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I'm planning to make Swiss steak again for tonight. I will work on posting the recipe I'm using (with my changes) here.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.