What are You Cooking the Week of January 15, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of January 15, 2017?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I haven't made pizza in a while, with just the two of us cranking the oven up for 1 or 2 pizzas seems like a waste of energy, and now that my wife's on a low-carb diet she isn't eating pizza or pasta much.

Back in the day, We preferred whole milk mozzarella, which can be difficult to find in grocery stores, though we have been able to buy it in 5 pound bags at Sams Club. I like to top it with a 4-cheese blend: Parmesan, Romano, Asiago and Provolone.

cwcdesign
      Participant

The weekly flyer from Harris Teeter is advertising frozen deep dish pizza from Uno's so if you really wanted to try Uno's again, you wouldn't have to pay for shipping. I know it's not the same place it was - at one point it was owned by a company in Massachusetts after Ike died. (Ike Sewall, the founder, was my husband's godfather). And, no my father-in-law did not invest because he thought Ike's idea was crazy!

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Wednesday, I made Shepherd's Pie, using a recipe I adapted from Martha Stewart's site. I use ground beef, not lamb, and I use frozen peas and carrots, not fresh carrots. I had half a cup of beef broth frozen from some pot roasts, so I used that as half the liquid and Penzey's beef stock with water for the other half. My husband does not care for regular onion but green onion is fine with him. I added parsley and rosemary. I served it with steamed broccoli.

Addendum: Instead of using a 9-inch pie plate, I used a 7x7 inch square ceramic dish that is 3 inches deep. I didn't have to worry about the broth dripping out onto the oven, and the square is easier for servings.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
          luvpyrpom
          Participant

Nothing really big this past week, lots of leftovers to eat from. I saw that Costco had organic cauliflower rice so picked up a bag to try. Even though the bag said prewashed, I still rinsed it as I never trust that term. Not getting that product again - there was a weird chemical smell to it, and no matter how I cooked it, skillet or oven, they came out mushy. I also had half a bag of smnall Yukon potatoes so roasted that and used the leftovers to make hash for breakfast. For last night, I did a quick stir-fry of Brussel Sprouts with Prawns - lots of garlic and a touch of lemon in the seasoning.

chocomouse
            Participant

I was thinking about trying some cauliflower rice -- not so interested any more! I made a pork tenderloin, using boiled cider and herbs for a sauce. I make the boiled cider every fall from cider we make from the apples we grow. I also fixed chicken salad, and a hamburger-marinara-rice casserole.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Friday I made pizza, using our favorite KAF Thin Crust Pizza recipe. I think that semolina and durum flour it includes make a difference. I mixed all the ingredients together, except for the olive oil, which I drizzled in as the ingredients mixed, before switching to the dough hook. The dough is a bit oily at the start of the rise. The baked crust has a buttery texture. The first time I did it this way, it was a mistake (forgot to add the oil at the start). The crust is drier if I do it the other way.

This afternoon, I made clam chowder, based on a recipe from an old Betty Crocker cookbook, with my college roommate's change of adding celery seed. In the evening, I made a Four Bean Salad for a church potluck tomorrow.

RiversideLen
                Participant

Today I made an eye of round, using America's Test Kitchen method. It was very good. I'll be having leftovers for a few days!

cwcdesign
                  Participant

On Friday, I made the base for Guinness Stew that I was serving On Saturday. This recipe, you blanch the carrots and roast the potatoes and add them just before serving. I made those on Saturday, added them to the pot and then warmed the stew. It came out really well and had a thicker "gravy." I also roasted some nuts with rosemary, cayenne and brown sugar - nice flavor.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by cwcdesign.
                    cwcdesign
                    Participant

Chocomouse, i meant to comment on the cauliflower rice. I made a couple of batches from scratch because it was recommended for a low carb diet. It wasn't bad; I just wouldn't go through the effort again. We've decided that we prefer roasted cauliflower - sometimes tossed with just olive oil, salt & pepper. I still use that as a substitute for rice and it works just fine.

Ha! I just checked in and had to make a correction. My iPad autocorrected to Chico mouse

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by cwcdesign.
                    Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.