What are You Baking the Week of January 15, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 15, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm starting off this week's thread, although I do not yet have anything to post. Feel free to post about what you are baking during the week, or to wait and do a re-cap at the end of the week.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: Weekly Baking; Week of January 15, 2017
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Let's talk about my doughnuts that I made last week. Some years ago I bought a doughnut pan from KAF and it came with a recipe, so that's the recipe I follow. I like to make them with KAF Whole Wheat Pastry flour and season it with cinnamon and nutmeg. I used to just dust them with confectioners sugar but more recently I have been making chocolate frosting. I find the frosted doughnuts more closely resemble traditional fried ones, plus they are more satisfying. I posted the recipe today.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by RiversideLen.
        • This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by RiversideLen.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

My wife prefers raised fried donuts I'm more of a cake donut fan, so the baked ones work well for me.

I don't have the donut pan, but I've made KAF's donut muffin recipe as donut holes several times.

What chocolate frosting recipe did you use?

RiversideLen
          Participant

I use this one (hoping the link works) Chocolate frosting
            It's a slight modification of a recipe I found in Prevention magazine. My modifications are I reduced the fat from 3 tablespoons to 2 and I use coffee instead of milk. Prevention's way of doing it is great too. And there have been times I used melted coconut oil as the fat, when I'm looking for that coconut pop.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Tuesday evening, I baked Cranberry Scones. The recipe is from Biscuits and Scones, by Elizabeth Alston, but it is identical to the recipe that came with the Nordic Ware scone pan, and it bakes perfectly in that pan. I adapt it by using whole wheat pastry flour for a third of the flour. I also added 1/4 cup of pecans and 1/2 tsp. of orange oil, and sprinkled it with the coarse sparkling sugar from King Arthur Flour. I'll have some for breakfast the rest of this week, and I will freeze some.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

I love that book! Mine is dog-eared and stained and much used.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I've not made enough use of that book, which was a gift from friends for whom I baked when I was living in Spokane for a year. I tried the barley scones this past summer, and there are some other recipes that I've now marked to try.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  Italiancook
                  Participant

I'm glad y'all are baking and cooking this week. It's Thursday and I've neither cooked nor baked.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Today I am making Vienna bread from the Clonmel Kitchens Double Crusty recipe. (Making this recipe reminds me that we haven't heard from Paddy L in a long time, I hope she's doing OK.)

With our lowered bread consumption, I am baking 3 loaves (about 17.5 ounces of dough each) and will slice them in half, freezing 2 1/2 loaves for future use. This'll probably last me 3-4 weeks.

luvpyrpom
                      Participant

So since everyone at work raved about the KAF Softer Cinnamon Rolls, I made it again with my teenage niece on Monday. Substitued with lactose free milk, margarine, and soy cream cheese frosting. It was really good. It may be my stand by for future cinnamon rolls. I also have to chuckle - you know, I'm 50 and have NEVER made Rice Krispy treats from scratch???? Other people at work have made them and I always avoided them because I know they use real butter. So my niece and I made them on Monday with margarine and we had mixed the plain rice Krispy with a little bit of the chocolate ones. They are addictive! If you're wondering why I decided to make them now - I had 3 bags of marshmallows leftover from Christmas - had to use them for a craft project, and wanted the marshmallows out of the house.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I started the week baking refrigerator cookies (lemon, lime, orange, and a cranberry coconut) that I had mixed up before the holidays -- I love having a stash of "slice and bake". Then I made KAF's Brownie Bites (I discovered they have one recipe, with three different names - the recipes are identical!) which I baked in a jelly roll pan, and then used a heart-shaped cookie cutter to make individual servings which I frosted with a chocolate ganache. I made another batch of Pizza Party Buns, but a smaller size; instead of using the Burger Bun pan, I used a Whoopie Pie pan. The brownie hearts and pizza buns will go with us to a gathering tonight. Yesterday I made the Maple Pecan Muffins using a KAF mix which someone gave me for Christmas. They smelled wonderful and look great, but no taste-test yet.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Saturday, I baked Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread (recipe on this site). It's my husband's favorite. He says it reminds him of "Monk's Bread" that his family used to buy. I checked out Monk's Bread through google and found that it is made by an order of monks in New York. I think that it must be the combination of the malted milk powder and Grape Nuts.

I also baked Pumpkin Cinnamon Bars, which is the KAF Apple Cinnamon Bars, only made with apple butter rather than pumpkin butter. I substitute in 1/2 cup of white whole wheat flour, and because the bars are much too sweet, I cut the sugar to 1/2 cup and reduce the cinnamon chips to 1/3 cup. I'll put the glaze on tomorrow, but I will only make a half recipe.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                            RiversideLen
                            Participant

Yesterday I made a cake from a box mix (Arrowhead Mills) that I seasoned with hazelnut flavor and topped with chocolate frosting also seasoned with hazelnut flavor. When I greased the pan I dusted it with hazelnut flour. That gave the edge of the cake a real nice appearance.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Yesterday I made a cake from a box mix (Arrowhead Mills) that I seasoned with hazelnut flavor and topped with chocolate frosting also seasoned with hazelnut flavor. When I greased the pan I dusted it with hazelnut flour. That gave the edge of the cake a real nice appearance.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

Yesterday, I baked another like loaf of KAF's Irish Soda Bread with WWW. I reduced the sugar to 2 tablespoons and could probably go down another ½ tablespoon. I only baked it for 40 minutes instead of their recommendation for a minimium of 45. One of my guests took home half of the loaf that was left. It was only fair as she left me with the remainder of her Mini Whoopie Pies made with Guinness and Bailey's in the filling. There was also chocolate ganache in the middle. She has promised me the recipe as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.