What are You Cooking the Week of January 19, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of January 19, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

It's not exactly cooking, but I'm starting the week by culturing buttermilk. As it is cold outside (4F when we awoke and 11F when I went to the store this morning), my husband started a fire in the woodstove this morning, so I can set my quart jar near the warm stove, as I did two years ago. I had tried last year to make it on the counter in the garage apt. where we lived during reno, but it needs the consistent warmth.

My local grocery only sells quart bottles of buttermilk--when they even have it--and for the same price I pay for a half gallon in the larger town where we do our major grocery shopping. Weather will determine when we make our next grocery run, so I want to be sure not to run out of what is a staple ingredient in my baking.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

To go with our leftover chicken for Sunday dinner, I cooked ¾ cup bulgur in 1 ½ cups of turkey broth. We also had microwaved frozen peas and carrots.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had BLT's and fries.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Tuesday, I made my Spaghetti Squash-Ground Turkey Casserole [Lasagna]. I made my own sauce using 3 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, and adding garlic, dried onion (my husband is still avoiding fresh onion); Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset, tomato paste, sugar, black pepper, a bit of leftover red wine, and Worcestershire sauce. We had it with microwaved fresh broccoli.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I'm making a burger, steamed red cabbage and cottage fries.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We had reubens. My wife didn't want to wait until the sauerkraut rye bread was cool enough to slice, so she had hers on some marbled rye bread from the freezer.

I'll comment more on the sauerkraut rye bread in the 'Coming Through the Rye' thread after I've taken some pictures.

skeptic7
                Participant

I tried a recipe for Chicken with Orange Flavor from Chinese Casserole Cookery, only I used 5 drumsticks instead of one chicken; and I cooked it in a stove top pressure cooker. I haven't eaten it yet, I plan to warm it up for supper. I would have liked to have cooked this a couple of days ago but I ran out of energy in the evening and ate some left over pizza or a sandwich instead.
                  I also put in some parsnips since I had them, and didn't have any bamboo shoots. The parsnips came out very soft, more than I expected. The chicken recipe included hoisin sauce, orange peel, sherry, soy sauce and Thai peppers so I have great hopes of it being tasty.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Parsnips get very soft when cooked, parsnip mash is a common side dish in England.

skeptic7
                    Participant

I thought parsnips were like tough carrots or turnips. I ate a chicken leg which was tasty with a very strongly flavored sauce, and rice and green beans. The green beans were frozen beans heated in the microwave and utterly boring which made it perfect for the chicken.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I consider parsnips the missing secret ingredient in chicken soup, so I always put in a couple of parsnips when making chicken broth or stock. Parsnips add a sweetness to the liquid. Before sugar beets, parsnips were sometimes used to sweeten things

chocomouse
                        Participant

I love parsnips and thanks for the reminder -- I need to buy some! They are wonderful sliced and oven roasted along with carrots, winter squash, sweet and regular potatoes, brussel sprouts, onions.

Our dinner tonight was steak on the grill, baked potatoes, and broccoli salad. The temp finally rose into the 20s tonight, so I dared to ask my husband to cook outside!

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had sandwiches on the Old Milwaukee rye bread, hers was pastrami mine was corned beef. I also had some peas.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I had a baked chicken breast, bone in and skin on. I rubbed it with oil infused with a fair amount of grated fresh ginger and garlic. Had it sauteed red cabbage and noodles.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I've not been cooking much as my husband has been recovering from bronchitis,emphysema and COPD but he is on the mend now and getting better.One day he'd be OK the next not so it's a slow go but am optimistic and hopeful.Tonight I had some BBQ from a local restaurant and my husband wanted chicken noodle soup.This was the first thing he said has tasted good.I know with quitting smoking has changed all his tastes also.

Just got the internet back on today and come to find out it was a power cord to the modem that was bad...grrr.Have missed reading each day on here but I'm about caught up now.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

It's good to have you back, Joan. I'm glad that your husband is recovering and that he is persevering to quit smoking. Food should start tasting much better to him now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.