Tue. Sep 29th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,606 through 4,620 (of 8,095 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of June 28, 2020? #25035
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      I'm making semolina bread today, starting with Hamelman's recipe but then tweaking it a bit to see if I can get it closer to the one we used to get in Pittsburgh.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of June 21, 2020? #25022
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        How long does potato water keep? Do you refrigerate it? Can you freeze it?

        in reply to: Chickpea Cracker Recipe #25018
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          I've heard chickpea flour is tricky to use.

          in reply to: What are you Baking the week of June 21, 2020? #25017
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            I usually do dessert pizzas with a thin crust, but here's the basics, I often do them on the gas grill outdoors.

            Roll the crust out and par-bake it. Add the toppings then bake it the rest of the way. Cut and serve.

            Dessert Pizza Toppings, the peach one is our favorite:

            Spread butter on the crust, add brown sugar, peaches and dust with cinnamon. The butter and brown sugar will combine to make butterscotch.

            Spread peanut butter on the crust, top with banana slices. (I guess this is the Elvis Special.) If you prefer, you can use chocolate kisses instead of banana slices, or do both.

            Spread chocolate shavings on the crust, sprinkle with granulated sugar. For an added dimension, put on strawberry slices.

            Spread apple pie filling on the crust.

            Spread honey on the crust, top with brown sugar. Bake until crisp on top.

            I haven't figured out a good one with cherries yet. I've tried sour cherry jam and sliced bing cherries with butter and/or sugar, neither really ran the bell.

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of June 21, 2020? #25016
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              We had a small dinner party this evening (just 4 of us), with deviled eggs, salad with home-made Thousand Island dressing, popovers with strawberry jam (and other jams), burger patties on the grill (with or without a bun).

              in reply to: Sheet pan pancakes #24994
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                The only spam post I saw was from Joan, and it has been released.

                in reply to: Multigrain Sunflower Bread #24980
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  Stanley Ginsberg uses an internal temperature in the 190-195 range for a number of his recipes, I personally find 200 to be a better target for most breads.

                  On recipes I'm familiar with, I go more by smell than appearance or temperature, and by the time the bread smells right the internal temperature is often in the 205 range.

                  I have taken to double-panning some recipes lately, that way the bottom doesn't get overbaked before the top is done.

                  in reply to: What are you Baking the week of June 21, 2020? #24966
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    I'm not sure but I don't think the egg wash was a major factor in the heavy crust, the type of dough and the baking temperature may have had more impact.

                    in reply to: Multigrain Sunflower Bread #24965
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      You can try cutting the yeast back, using colder liquids or even ice water to cool the dough or finding a cooler place for it to rise, possibly some time in in the refrigerator.

                      in reply to: What are you Baking the week of June 21, 2020? #24945
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        I've made peach cobbler from frozen peaches, you really do need to let them defrost. However, if you make a dessert peach pizza, you can put them on still frozen.

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of June 21, 2020? #24939
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          We had burgers on the grill tonight.

                          in reply to: Help with Cuisinart Food Processor Needed #24932
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            A lot of those older models had fantastic motors in them.

                            I've got a malt mixer made in the 50's (an Andis Speed Whip) that has a GE motor in it that is 1/2 HP or more. It'll mix up something that's pretty much solid ice cream. They're considered collectors items among soda fountain collectors, the last one I saw sold went for over $200.

                            Some of the 'mix-in' systems used in ice cream shops must have pretty good motors in them, too.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of June 21, 2020? #24911
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              BLT's tonight.

                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of June 21, 2020? #24894
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                Leftovers tonight.

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the week of June 21, 2020? #24893
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  Rosemary lasts a long time after it has been cut, I have a sprig of it on the shelf above the stove and I've been using small amounts of it for months.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,606 through 4,620 (of 8,095 total)