Tue. Oct 6th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 8,056 through 8,070 (of 8,097 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Happy Birthday Swirth #408
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      We've gotten about 2 inches of rain in the past 2-3 hours, but our weather usually tracks north of you. It's been raining all week and it looks like rain on and off for both of us through the weekend and into next week, wonder if it'll affect the Indy 500 on Sunday?

      This weekend is my wife's annual Memorial Day Weekend garage sale, looks like it'll be a soggy one.

      • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
      in reply to: No Boil Lasagna Sheets #406
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        I find it is easier to bake it, cut it into portions for freezing and reheat those portions as needed.

        in reply to: Happy Birthday Swirth #398
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          Happy Birthday, Sarah! Stay dry!

          in reply to: No Boil Lasagna Sheets #391
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            I've looked at the larger (14x18) baking steel griddle several times, when I'm not using it for baking I think it'd be on the countertop as a platform for doing things like cutting meat and chicken. (I wish we had put in a stainless steel countertop next to a sink for easy sanitation.)

            in reply to: The latest ‘gourmet green’ — Japanese Knotweed?? #381
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              Very little of the Japanese Knotweed in the Pittsburgh area will be suitable for eating, the article even says the people harvesting it for restaurants go way outside of town to get it.

              Tree of Heaven is a nasty smelling invasive plant, that and mulberry are things we fight constantly. Mint is another, the first year we were in this house we put in several types of mint, 19 years later we're still trying to get rid of it. Musk thistle is a big problem locally, especially in ditches along county roads, and one the weed control board will cite you for in a hurry.

              I've heard it referred to as the gardener's dilemma: Anything prolific enough to make a good ground cover has the potential of taking over your entire yard.

              • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
              in reply to: Pasta Flour ? #380
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                I always use semolina flour for pasta. Recently I've been ordering it from King Arthur, as the local coop stopped carrying it in bulk. Bob's Red Mill also makes a semolina flour and so does Hodgson Mill, though I haven't seen it on local shelves for a long time.

                I've been tempted to order durum wheat berries and mill my own pasta flour, but haven't found a supplier yet. (25+ pounds of durum wheat would last me years.)

                KAF is also where I get pastry flour, as the only stuff available locally is whole wheat pastry flour. Although GM unbleached makes a decent pie crust, I prefer a softer flour for most pastry.

                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  Pork tenderloin has almost no fat in it these days, if there's any meat that has been bred to meet consumer preferences, it's pork!

                  A pork sirloin roast should have more fat on it. Boston Butt has a lot more fat, but has to be tied (or cooked in a net) or it falls apart, IMHO it's best for slow cooking and turning into pulled pork.

                  • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                  in reply to: No Boil Lasagna Sheets #366
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    Yes, I make the dough in the KA mixer. I put in the dry ingredients, egg and oil, then dribble in water until it forms a dough.

                    I divide the dough into balls no more then about 4-5 ounces each. That way I'm not trying to handle a sheet of pasta that is 10 feet long. Use the slowest setting on the mixer. Start on the widest setting (1), put the dough through the rollers a couple of times, folding it in between passes, then move on to the next ball, but without the folds. (I drape the rolled out dough on cookie sheets on the counter, hanging off the edge.)

                    Then move up to setting 2, and start over. The book says to go to setting 4 or 5, I find 4 is plenty thin and I've been known to stop at 3.

                    I've got really thick countertops (butcher block) and most clamps won't go that wide, but I've been known to use a bar clamp from the shop, the kind that you can squeeze tighter work nearly anywhere.

                    • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                    • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                    • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                    in reply to: No Boil Lasagna Sheets #357
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      I haven't used no-boil lasagna sheets in over 10 years. As I recall, they needed to soak for a few minutes to soften.

                      These days I make most of my own pasta.

                      When I make lasagna, I freeze it after baking.

                      If you've got the KitchenAid pasta set, the recipe for semolina egg pasta in it makes an excellent lasagna. It won't have the crinkles in it, of course. I do boil them for 30 seconds or so, to 'set' the pasta and make it easier to handle when assembling the lasagna. I let them dry a bit on cloth towels, that keeps the pasta from getting too watery.

                      I usually wind up adding more water than the recipe calls for. If you get it too wet, it doesn't roll out well, but if it is too dry all it does is crumble.

                      • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                      • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                      • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                      • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                      in reply to: WSJ article on artisan bakers #354
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        I know King Arthur uses mills in Kansas, because they take staff there on an annual 'know your sources' trek. KSU used to sell grain milled as part of their Grain Institute, but I think they've pretty much shut that sales operation down, and 50 pounds of whole grain flour would last me a year, which defeats the 'freshly milled' aspects.

                        So for most of us, getting your own grain mill and buying wheat berries may be the only way to get freshly milled whole grain flour on a regular basis. The options for buying wheat berries are pretty limited, so that's going to limit your ability to get flour milled to your specifications. Right now I've got both 'hard red' and 'soft red' berries, so I could do a mix, but I don't have the lab equipment to measure protein content, ash content, etc.

                        I've seen Wheat Montana White Wheat berries in a 25 pound bag in local stores, but haven't bought any. I bought a bag of white wheat flour a couple of years ago, made two loaves with it, and eventually threw the rest out, because we didn't care for the taste.

                        in reply to: What Did You Bake the Week of May 15, 2016? #351
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          My mother often doubled the amount of chocolate chips in the recipe. I think the recipe is better with regular oats than with quick oats, just like I think it's better with Crisco than with butter, but I'm glad you liked them.

                          My mother typed out copies of this recipe on recipe cards for all of us years ago, she added some hand-written notes to mine that make it one of my most precious possessions.

                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            I updated the link in the first post in this thread to one that should work more more people.

                            in reply to: What Did You Bake the Week of May 15, 2016? #336
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              We made a batch of gluten-free cornbread.

                              I've bookmarked the Anna's Swedish Butter Cake recipe in Susan Purdy's book.

                              We went to a wedding today and the cake (from a local supermarket's bakery department) was definitely not a WASC or even something like the 'elegant white cake' in the KAF Baker's Companion. I was thinking of trying another 'blondie' version of the Texas Sheet Cake, but maybe I'll try the Swedish Butter Cake instead.

                              • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                              • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                              in reply to: Say Hello! #315
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                I think you can also expect changes in this site, both in terms of how things work and what tools are available. (I'm not really happy with the current layout, so I might not stay with BBPress, the forums package I'm using, but if that changes all existing content should be migrated over.)

                                And don't forget there are other sites out there, Zen's, RandyD's, etc.

                                • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                                • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                                in reply to: WSJ article on artisan bakers #312
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  Hmm, I was hoping the link would work, did you try it?

                                  No, the WSJ article focused on professional artisan bakers, not home bakers. It did note that some bakers, like Chad Robertson of Tartine, have started milling their own wheat or cutting deals with local millers. It'll be interesting to see if he writes another volume of the Tartine cookbook series that talks about it.

                                  Those of us with home grain mills have long faced the difficulty of obtaining affordable whole grain for milling. I used to be able to get a 25 pound bag of Wheat Montana hard red wheat for about $14, but both local sources no longer carry it. Most recently I paid about $17 plus shipping to order a 26 pound bucket of it from walmart.com. (Walmart has just started offering free shipping on a lot of items, I guess they're trying to compete with Amazon Prime.)

                                  You could look for a grocery store that has a Wheat Montana in-store grinding station, but a nearby store recently discontinued theirs. Not enough people buying it, I suspect.

                                  The article does say that freshly milled flour should be used in 1-2 weeks, and I'm sure any flour you can buy in bags in a store will be a lot older than that. Peter Reinhart noted in one of his books that freshly milled flour should be used right away, within 24 hours, or allowed to age for 2 weeks.

                                  The article touches on but doesn't really explain how sourdough has a lower glycemic index.

                                  • This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 8,056 through 8,070 (of 8,097 total)