Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,426 through 4,440 (of 8,095 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26398
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      It's bread that's best with something savory, it goe well with the ham, toasting it enhances the onion taste.

      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26387
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        The semolina rye bread is a bit on the heavy side, which I expected, but went well with the ham, which was marinated in ginger ale.

        I may have to make it without the onion to see what difference it makes.

        • This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Mike Nolan.
        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26386
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          We had ham on the semolina rye bread, with potatoes au gratin made using the dried potatoes from a package mix but not the sauce mix, for that I made a Mornay sauce and added sour cream. Plus a salad.

          in reply to: Coming Through the Rye #26384
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            This isn't one of the Ginsberg recipes, but I may try it soon anyway.

            In place of a double-walled water-filled baking pan, which seems to be impossible to find, it suggests using two Pullman pans, one that fits completely inside the other with the lids on and the outer one filled with water. It bakes at a low temperature for 24 hours.

            This recipe might give me an excuse to buy not one but two Pullman pans.

            Pumpernickel Bread

            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26380
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              I made the KAF Semolina Rye bread today, not my best shaping effort:

              rye1

              It called for 1 1/2 TB of dried minced onion, but I only put in about a teaspoon and that was PLENTY! The seeds on top are mostly poppy seed with a little caraway and charnushka.

              I did put in the extra gluten, and a bit more pumpernickel flour than it called for, since that finished off the bag.

              rye2

              Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              in reply to: Kitchen in an Air Stream Trailer #26379
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                Conspicuously absent is how much he spent outfitting the AirStream, which, I will agree, is/was a wonderful trailer.

                My older son recently bought a used Class C RV, he's already taken it on a short shakedown cruise from Pittsburgh to Maryland, we're hoping he'll use it to come visit us later this year, perhaps at Christmas.

                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26375
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  Nice donuts.

                  It is supposed to be cooler here tomorrow, I'm hoping I can get some baking done, probably some kind of rye bread as I've got some ham I want to bake.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26371
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    I've used shortbread as the base for an apple galette, though I haven't made it in a long time. (These days I prefer the Irish Apple Cake.)

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26366
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      Shortbread isn't hard to make, have you tried making your own?

                      in reply to: Quiz for August 27, 2020 #26362
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        Guavas are rather tart, which is why they make great jams and jellies, lots of pectin.

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26347
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          One of my wife's sorority sisters married a guy whose father was a food chemist. He achieved some notoriety in the early 60's by publishing a list of Kentucky Fried Chicken's '13 secret herbs and spices'.

                          We made one batch of ketchup that had too much clove in it, but the next batch had no clove at all and just tasted wrong, so I'm pretty sure clove is one of the key spices in ketchup, but in moderation.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26345
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            We've tried making ketchup a couple of times, it is never as good as Heinz, though. I could make some tomato relish, but I've still got several quarts of it from the batch I made 3 years ago (it lasts nearly forever in the fridge because it has a lot of vinegar in it.) Most of what's left is the batch that got over-cooked a bit, though.

                            Something I've never tried making is salsa for tacos, maybe I'll try that some time. (No cilantro, though, my wife has the gene that makes it taste like soap.)

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of August 23, 2020? #26343
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              I picked a small bowl of tomatoes yesterday, probably 2-3 pounds. I could probably pick another bowl about the same size today. In a week or two I should have enough to consider making sauce or something else with them.

                              in reply to: Food and Wine sourdough article #26341
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                The 'old dough' method was used primarily by people baking frequently, every day or two. I'm not sure what refrigerating old dough would do, I've had refrigerated dough become unusable after about a week.

                                I don't recall where I read it, but I have read that it takes quite a few iterations of using old dough before it produces a consistent product. In that respect, it is similar to the process of creating a sourdough starter.

                                My guess is the Poilâne recipes are aimed more at occasional bakers than ones who maintain a sourdough starter for years, like the Poilâne bakery does (theirs goes back to the 1930's, I believe.) I was disappointed and surprised that the book didn't offer alternate instructions for those who have a starter to work with.

                                in reply to: Food and Wine sourdough article #26329
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  I have the Poilâne book, I was disappointed to find that in her recipe for recreating their famous miche, she uses a combination of an overnight levain and commercial yeast, something I'm sure they don't do in their bakery.

                                  Farmer's markets aren't the best venues for keeping bread in peak condition, a local artisan baker has told me that they don't bring all their breads to the farmer's market because some just don't travel well. (Personally I find their sourdough too sour, though.)

                                  There was a post, on the BBGA forum, I think, recently lamenting that San Francisco sourdough has gone 'commercial' as most of the bakeries have been bought by corporations rather than passed from one artisan baker-owner to another. I think Chad Robertson is still one of those baker-owners, though.

                                  But with the pandemic and the way airlines treat you, I don't know if I'll ever be back to San Francisco to check out the Tartine bakery. (And I've just about given up on my goal of doing a boulangerie crawl through Paris.)

                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,426 through 4,440 (of 8,095 total)