Hydrox vs. Oreos

Home Forums General Discussions Hydrox vs. Oreos

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Hi,

This is an interesting neat podcast on the history of Hydrox and Oreo sandwich cookies.

I did know that Hydrox pre-existed Oreos and that Hydrox were kosher (we never at Oreos at religious school).

I did not know the competition was bred by sibling rivalry!

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

i always thought Hydrox had the better filling and Oreos had the better outer cookie. Hydrox are just a memory these days, along with too many other foods from our past.

When we're past the pandemic crisis (in 2-3 years?), it'll be interesting to look back and see how many products have bit the dust since March.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I don't recall the difference in filling, but I agree with Mike that Oreos had the better outer cookie--much more chocolatey.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I never had Hydrox but I don't care for the name. I like Oreos but think Whole Foods 365 brand version of the cookie is very good. The mismatched, one side vanilla and the other chocolate, is great. The vanilla side has true vanilla flavor and pairs up very well with the chocolate side. I don't know which brand is better, I have never done a side by side comparison, although the 365 brand gives you more for the money. This is one of those things that you don't have to declare a winner for, just sit back with your plate of cookies and a mug of hot cocoa or coffee and enjoy.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by RiversideLen.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Oreo filling always reminds me of American 'buttercream', it tastes mostly like shortening and sugar. I've never really understood those who like the double-stuf ones, I buy Oreo thins these days.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Len, I'm surprised you've never tried Hydrox as they are a Chicago product! According to the podcast the name, was originally considered to be superior to Oreos but fell out of favor as it sounded to much like chemicals and people wanted natural products.

Oreos filling contained lard until 1997 or 98 (both dates are mentioned in the podcast).

RiversideLen
                Participant

Aaron, it's possible I've had them when I was a kid but I don't remember them.

The name sounds like a laundry product to me.

I like Oreo thins too. Never had the double stuffed.

Newman O's are good too.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Target's brand of Oreo's are very good also their brand of chocolate chip cookie is better than Chip's ahoy.

I've had the Hydrox brand before,my husband is hooked on Oreo's,he want's the real thing not double stuff.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                    aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

I have not had Hydrox in years and Len, like you, people stopped liking the name. It made people think of hydrogen peroxide.

I like Jo-Jos and Whole Foods. I have not had Target but I may try them. I like the peppermint flavor that comes out at Christmas and I do like double stuff. I was making my own before Nabisco came out with them by combining two Oreos and eating the leftover cookies separately. Chips Ahoy are awful.

Maybe I'll make Fauxreos this weekend!

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I have a vague memory that KAF did a recipe version of Oreos.

While I liked Oreos as a kid--and I ate the cookie as assembled, no taking apart and licking out the frosting--it is a memory that I prefer to leave in the past. I'm sure that the modern one will not taste as I remember it.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Not sure how much the formula has changed over the years except now they are kosher and they were not until the late 90s. The lard is gone from the filling and that has to be a huge difference.

navlys
                          Participant

I always preferred Hydrox cookies. The filling wasn't so cloying and the cookie was crisper.

navlys
                            Participant

I always preferred Hydrox cookies. The filling wasn't so cloying and the cookie was crisper.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.