White or Chocolate Cake Recipe

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle White or Chocolate Cake Recipe

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

White or Chocolate Cake Recipe
      happyone179
      Hi Eveerybody,
      I am in need of a white or chocolate cake recipe that is moist and very good tasting. Thanking you in advance.
      badge posted by: happyone179 on October 10, 2013 at 4:59 pm in General discussions
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Subscribe to: This post
      REPLIES TO THIS DISCUSSION
      Save
      Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save" to activate your changes.
      reply by: KitchenBarbarian aka Zen on October 11, 2013 at 12:21 am
      KitchenBarbarian aka Zen
      Here's a moist, rich chocolate cake that might be what you're looking for.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: hickeyja on October 10, 2013 at 10:42 pm
      hickeyja
      This is my favorite chocolate cake. http://community.kingarthurflour.com/node/4673 It is very moist, keeps well and freezes well. The penuche frosting is wonderful too. Jan
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: swirth on October 10, 2013 at 10:35 pm
      swirth
      I'm having trouble doing copy/paste of the yellow cake recipes that I want to post here so I'll just give you the links to the recipes...the first two are from cooksgirl who did yellow cake trials and she had the first one as the winner and the 2nd one is her runner up...wish I could do the copy/paste as she had lots more commentary in the stuff I want to include:
      -
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/node/2881
      -
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/node/4948
      -
      Here's another great yellow cake recipe from MrsM:
      -
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/node/5475
      -
      Here's a great chocolate cake from the yellow cake lady, cooksgirl:
      -
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/node/2864
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: jackie429 on October 10, 2013 at 9:52 pm
      jackie429
      The ice water cake has an emotional background for me. My mother always made it for my birthday cake when I was small and for that reason only, it's my favorite.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: jackie429 on October 10, 2013 at 9:49 pm
      jackie429
      I for one would love a good yellow cake recipe.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Livingwell on October 10, 2013 at 8:31 pm
      Livingwell
      Either the Hershey's recipe or Crazy Cake, aka Cake-in-the-Pan, are my go-to chocolate cake recipes. I don't have a good recipe for yellow cake or white cake. I tried the Tender White Cake here on the site and didn't have good luck with it.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: happyone179 on October 10, 2013 at 7:59 pm
      happyone179
      Thank You to Everyone that responded!!!!! All of the cakes that were recommended sound great. I have to Sunday to make up my mind. I am going to make 2 of them tomorrow and give them to my kids to try. Then I pick the one they liked best. This is such a wonderful site, all of you have been so helpful and responded so quickly.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: swirth on October 10, 2013 at 7:24 pm
      swirth
      Here is our favorite chocolate cake...I've been baking it for 54+ years:
      -
      http://community.kingarthurflour.com/node/2744
      -
      Let me know if you could use a couple or three wonderful yellow cake recipes.
      -
      I'll search for chocolate cake favorites from the oldBakingCircle in a bit and will post if I can find them.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: swirth on October 10, 2013 at 7:20 pm
      swirth
      Here are the white cake favorites from the oldBakingCircle:
      -
      ---------------------
      Here is a past post of mine with several wonderful white cake recipes.
      -
      Reply by swirth on April 13, 2012 at 3:38 pm Here are some long time favorite white cake recipes from the oldBakingCircle that would work quite well for you:
      -
      Silver White Cake
      -
      2 1/4 c. Softasilk flour
      1 1/2 c. sugar
      3 1/2 t. baking powder
      1 t. salt
      1/2 c. soft shortening
      1 c. milk
      1 t. flavoring
      4 egg whites (1/2 to 2/3 cup), beaten
      -
      Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and lour two layer pans, 8 or 9 x 1 1/2" or an oblong pan, 13x9 1/2x2". Measure flour by dip-level-pour method or by sifting. Blend flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add shortening, 2/3 c. of milk and flavoring. Beat 2 minutes, medium speed on mixwe or 300 vigorous strokes by hand. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl constantly. Add rest of milk and egg whites. Beat 2 more minutes, scraping bowl frequently. Pour into pan(s). Bake layers 30-35 minutes, oblong 35-40 minutes. Cool. Elegant with lemon filling, a fluffy icing and flaked coconut.
      ---------------------------
      Submitted by: lsb
      -
      Classic White Cake
      -
      • 2 1/4 c. flour
      • 1 2/3 c. sugar
      • 2/3 c. shortening
      • 1 1/4 c. milk
      • 3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
      • 1 tsp. salt
      • 1 tsp. almond extract
      • 5 egg whites
      -
      Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour pan.
      -
      Beat flour, sugar, shortening, milk, baking powder, salt, and almond extract in a large bowl on medium speed for 30 seconds or until well blended. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Beat in egg whites and beat on high speed for an additional 2 minutes.
      -
      Bake 40 minutes in 9 x 12 pan; 30 minutes for 8 or 9 inch round pans (2 layers). When cool, frost with Buttercream Frosting (recipe follows).
      -
      Butercream Frosting
      -
      • 4 cups powdered sugar
      • 1/2 c. butter
      • 1/2 c. shortening
      • 1 tsp. almond extract
      • 3 Tbsp. milk
      -
      Combine all ingredients and mux until well blended.
      --------------------------------
      Ice Water White Cake
      -
      Submitted by: macy
      -
      I found this recipe for ice water white cake on another forum. It was in a thread where several white cakes had been tested and this emerged the clear favorite. It's from an old cookbook, A World of Baking by Delores Casella. I tried it and it is now my favorite white cake too. It is not at all dry, but take care not to overbake. You should use a toothpick or cake tester because it doesn't spring back when you touch it.
      -
      I get nice even layers baking at 300F convection for 30-40 minutes, one rung below center (what my oven manual recommends). For me, they bake nice and flat when I spray the pan with Baker's Joy, but they dome a bit when the pans are buttered and floured. For some reason the sides climb nice and high with the Baker's Joy, but set too quickly with the butter.
      -
      Some other tips:
      -
      -Beat the egg whites to soft peaks instead of stiff. They'll be easier to fold in and the crumb will be more even.
      -
      -Sifted into the measuring cups and swept with a straight edge (per RLB in the Cake Bible), my cake flour weighed 325 gm (11 1/4 oz).
      -
      Ice Water White Cake
      -
      With the exception of the water, which should be ice cold, all ingredients should be at room temperature.
      -
      • 3 and 1/4 cups sifted pastry or cake flour
      • 1/2 teaspoon salt
      • 4 teaspoons baking powder
      • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
      • 2 cups superfine granulated sugar
      • 1 and 1/2 cups ice water
      • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
      • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
      • 1/2 cup egg whites (about 4)
      -
      Sift the flour with the salt and baking powder. Cream the butter or margarine and gradually add 1 and 1/2 cups of the sugar. Beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Combine ice water and flavorings. Add sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the ice water, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat until smooth, but do not overbeat. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy, gradually beat in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and beat until stiff and glossy. Very carefully fold this merringue into the batter, folding just until no traces of white can be seen. Turn batter into 3 8-inch round layer pans that have been buttered and floured. Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool in pans for 5 minutes before turning out onto racks. Fill and frost as desired.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: jackie429 on October 10, 2013 at 6:58 pm
      jackie429
      Thanks for the white cake heads up. I'll look that one up and try it. I have made "crazy cake" or "whacky cake" as I have heard it called. I agree it is good and moist.However, I would recommend the Hershey's cake if I had my choice. Give it a try, anyway.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on October 10, 2013 at 6:48 pm
      Mike Nolan
      For a moist white cake, look up recipes for a WASC (white almond sour cream cake), the classic 'wedding cake' recipe. There's a very good one in the King Arthur Baking Companion under the name 'Elegant White Cake', as I recall. The sour cream ensures that the cake is very moist.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on October 10, 2013 at 6:54 pm
      Mike Nolan
      Cake-in-the-pan, also known as crazy cake, is very moist, and is my wife's favorite chocolate cake recipe. I have a recipe posted under the former name, I think swirth has one posted under the latter, the two recipes are almost identical.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: jackie429 on October 10, 2013 at 5:51 pm
      jackie429
      I discovered the chocolate cake recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can several years ago. It is now my go to chocolate cake. It is super quick and easy to make. I keep a layer or two in my freezer at all times. The frosting recipe is really good as well. Everyone I serve it to gives rave reviews and wants the recipe.
      Jackie

TWO QUESTIONS
      Mrs Cindy
      First, I don't remember which member, might have been Cindy Leigh, I'm not sure, who gave us the tip about replenishing the last few tablespoons of buttermilk in the bottle with regular milk to make more buttermilk. Whoever gave us that tip please stand up and take a bow! You have saved me, and I'm sure others, countless $$'s, hours and frustrations with this one tip. I have had the same pint bottle of buttermilk in my refrigerator for MONTHS! Everytime it gets below 1/2 bottle, I top it off with whatever milk I have on hand and viola!, buttermilk! I love this tip. Thank you, thank ou, thank you!
      Which brings me to the next question. I made the Texas Sheet cake this morning. It just came out of the oven. I made the chocolate one that uses buttermilk. I made it in a 13"x9" pan. Baked for 30 minutes. It looks and smells terrific.
      Now, can I cool this and stick it in the freezer as is, for service on Wednesday? I plan to thaw it on Tuesday evening and warm it in a slow, 300F, oven on Wednesday morning and then pouring the chocolate frosting over it. Will this work or do I need to do the frosting now? I really wanted to be able to freeze for freshness and frost later. Any comments, suggestions?
      ~Cindy
      badge posted by: Mrs Cindy on September 23, 2012 at 12:20 pm in Q & A
      tags: buttermilk, chocolate sheet cake, frosting, Texas sheet cake
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Subscribe to: This post
      REPLIES TO THIS DISCUSSION
      reply by: Mrs Cindy on September 30, 2012 at 10:11 am
      Mrs Cindy
      This is the recipe I used. I wanted one with buttermilk and this was the one. I made it in a 9"x13" pan, so the cake portion was thicker than making it in a jelly roll pan. This could be divided into two 8"x8" pans and then freeze one. Really an evil, moist, rich cake. Not a child's cake. This is an adult cake all the way!
      I made the cake on Monday and froze it. On Wednesday I took it out of the freezer and put it in a 325F oven for 20 minutes while I made the warm frosting. The cake was hot when I frosted it. Yummy, yummy, yummy!
      Texas Sheet Cake - Chocolate Buttermilk Sheet
      Ingredients:
      2 cups all-purpose flour
      2 cups sugar
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1 cup butter
      1cup boiling water
      1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
      2 eggs
      1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
      1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
      Chocolate Frosting:
      1/4 cup butter
      3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
      3 tablespoons buttermilk
      2 to 2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla
      1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
      Preparation:
      Cake
      Grease and flour a 15X10X1-inch or jelly roll pan or a 13X9X2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
      In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup butter, 1/3 cup cocoa, and 1 cup of water. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. With an electric hand-held mixer on medium speed, beat chocolate mixture into the dry mixture until thoroughly blended. Add eggs, 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla. Beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin). Pour batter into the prepared pan.
      Bake in a 350° oven about 22 to 25 minutes for the 15X10-inch pan or about 30 to 35 minutes for the 13X9-inch pan, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
      Pour warm chocolate frosting over the warm cake, spreading evenly. Place cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly before cutting.
      Makes 24 servings.
      Frosting:
      In a medium saucepan combine 1/4 cup butter, 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, and 3 tablespoons buttermilk. Bring to a boil, stirring, over medium heat. Remove from heat; add 2 cups confectioners' sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add more confectioners' sugar or a little milk or more buttermilk, if needed, for a spreadable frosting. If desired, stir in 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans. Spread the warm frosting over the cake.
      ~Cindy

moist yellow cake
      Submitted by cooksgirl on April 22, 2003 at 5:52 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Moist Yellow Cake

add to my Recipe Box Tweet this post to Facebook
      SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under cakes
      INSTRUCTIONS
      This recipe from Shirley Corriher's cookbook, CookWise. I have not changed the ingredients but have added the weights she quotes in earlier pages. This is a tall cake and can be split in half and then iced for a two layer cake.

"Do you love a featherlight, airy cake, or do you like fine, close, silky texture and melt-in-your-mouth tenderness enough to give up a little lightness for that smoothness?

If lightness is your first concern, you should choose a mixing method like creaming that gives prime importance to volume and aeration. On the other hand, if you are a texture person, you should choose the two-stage method, which prevents gluten development." From page 141 of CookWise.

I have included the directions for both the creaming method and the two-stage method. The ingredients are the same. I have not made the creaming method cake since I am a texture person and have been very happy with her two-stage method cake.

2 large eggs, room temperature (3 1/2 oz)
      3 large egg yolks, room temperature (2 oz)
      6 TBSP and 2 TBSP buttermilk, 1/2 cup total, room temp (4 1/2 fl. oz)
      1 tsp vanilla
      1 1/2 cups cake flour (7 oz)
      1 1/3 cup sugar (9 1/2 oz)
      1 1/2 tsp baking powder
      1/2 tsp salt
      1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (1 stick)
      1/3 cup oil (2 1/2 fl. oz)

Place oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 350.

Grease, put parchment paper, grease and flour a 9x2 round cake pan. This cake will rise 2 inches while baking so be sure you have a 9x2 pan instead of a 9x1-1/2 pan. Stir the eggs, yolks, vanilla and 6 TBSP of buttermilk together in a 2 cup glass pyrex measuring cup.

Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in mixer with the WHISK attachment on low speed for 30 seconds. Add the butter, oil and remaining 2 TBSP buttermilk. Mix on low to moisten the ingredients, about 10 seconds. Increase speed to medium (speed #5) and beat for 1 1/2 minutes. Scrape down the sides. Add a third of the egg mixture and beat on medium (speed #5) for 20 seconds. Scrape down the sides and repeat two more times.

Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-38 minutes until a tester inserted within an inch of the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly pressed in the center. (This takes closer to 40 minutes in my oven) The cake probably won't shrink from the sides until after it's out of the oven.

Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert on cooling rack and continue cooling.

Place the mixer bowl and whisk beater in the freezer. Measure the sugar into a ziploc bag, seal and place in the freezer to chill for about 20 minutes.

Place a shelf at the top of the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350.

Grease, put parchment paper in, grease and flour a 9x2 round cake pan.

Sift flour, baking powder, and salt 3 times. Measure buttermilk in a glass measuring cup and add the vanilla.

Cream the butter on medium speed in a mixer with the whisk attachment until light in color, about 3 minutes. Add the sugar in a steady stream with the mixer running. Continue beating the butter-sugar mixture for 3-4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl once. Add the eggs and the yolks one at at time, beating on medium speed for about 30 seconds after each addition. Continue to beat until the mixture is light and airy looking, another 1-2 minutes.

Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the oil. Fold in half the flour mixture with a large rubber spatula. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then fold in half of the buttermilk-vanilla mixture. Fold in the remaining flour and scrape down, then the remaining buttermilk-vanilla mixture.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the batter with the rubber spatula, leaving the edges a tiny bit higher than the center. Bake until a toothpick inserted an inch from the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. The sides should just begin to pull away from the pan when you place the cake on the rack to cool.

Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert and turn over to continue cooling on rack.

moist yellow cake - runner up
      Submitted by cooksgirl on May 05, 2003 at 6:11 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Moist yellow cake - Runner up

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under cakes
      INSTRUCTIONS
      This recipe is very similar in taste to the Shirley Corriher moist yellow cake that I have already posted. The texture is not quite the same but still very good. The advantages of this cake compared with the Cookwise moist yellow cake are (1) that it makes two layers to start with instead of one layer, (2) only uses 3 eggs instead of 5 eggs, and (3) uses all purpose flour and cornstarch instead of cake flour. It is a very good runner up.

2 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour (11 1/4 oz)
      1/4 cup cornstarch (1 oz)
      4 tsp baking powder
      1/2 tsp salt
      1 cup whole milk, room temperature (8 1/2 fl. oz)
      3 large eggs, room temperature
      2 tsp vanilla
      2 sticks or 1 cup butter, room temperature
      2 cups sugar (14 oz)

Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350. Grease, put parchment paper in, re-grease and flour two 8x2 round cake pans.

Mix milk, eggs and vanilla in a 2-cup glass measuring cup and set aside. Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a large mixer bowl. Beat softened butter into dry ingredients, first on low, then increased to medium, until mixture forms pebble-size pieces.

Add about 1/3 of the milk mixture; beat on low until the mixture is smooth, about 20 seconds. Add remaining milk mixture in two stages, beating 20 seconds after each. After last addition, increase speed to medium speed #5 and beat until batter is just smooth, about 1 minute. Add the sugar; beat until just incorporated, about 30 seconds. Divide batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans.

Bake until toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes clean, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and set on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and continue cooling on wire rack.

Notes:

1. I used superfine sugar.
      2. I weighed the flour, then sifted it into my kitchen aid mixer bowl with the other dry ingredients.
      3. I cut the butter into TBSP size pieces before adding to the dry ingredients.
      4. The batter was thick and seemed kind of lumpy when I was putting it into the pans.
      5. These were tall 8" layers. Be sure and use 2 inch tall pans instead of 1 1/2 inch pans.
      6. It only took 38 minutes in my oven to bake.

half sheet cake
      Submitted by MrsM on September 03, 2007 at 12:46 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Half Sheet Cake

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under cakes
      INSTRUCTIONS
      I had to make a 1/2 sheet cake for my MIL's 80th birthday, and here what I came up with. Everyone had a second piece, it was just outrageously delicious. I will put this into my recipe files, and add a picture. I see my pictures that I added of the county fair wins are not showing up, I will have to call KAF and see what is up with this.

MrsM

All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Layer Cake
      Ruth Levy Berenbaum, Cake Bible, page 39

6 large egg yolks
      1 cup milk (8 1/2 ounces)
      2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
      3 cups sifted cake flour (10 1/2 ounces) OR 10 1/4 ounces bleached AP flour
      1 1/2 cups sugar (10 1/2 ounces)
      4 teaspoons baking powder
      3/4 teaspoon salt
      1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened

Position rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°. Butter two 9” round cake pans and line with buttered and floured parchment paper. Or do the above with two sheet pans and make two recipes - one recipe will make one 1/2 sheet pan, 11.5 x 17.5 inches x 1 inch deep.

In a pyrex mixing cup, combine the yolks, 1/4 cup (2 ounces) milk and vanilla.

Stir together all the dry ingredients.

Cream the butter in the mixing bowl to soften. Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix until the butter is incorporated and there are no large pieces remaining. Add the remaining 3/4 cup milk (6 1/2 ounces) and mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium speed and beat for 1 1/2 minutes to aerate and develop the cake’s structure. Scrape down the sides. Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure. Scrape down the sides.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the surfaces. Bake the layers on the middle rack of the oven for 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Bake a sheet cake for 16-18 minutes. The cake should start to shrink from the sides of the pans only after removal from the oven. Cool the layers in the pans on racks for 10 minutes, then invert onto racks to finish cooling.

STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM
      Ruth Levy Berenbaum, Cake Bible, page 255

2 tablespoons (.5 ounce) powdered sugar
      1 teaspoon cornstarch
      1 cup (8 ounces) heavy cream
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the place powered sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan, and gradually stir in 1/4 cup of the heavy cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and simmer for just a few seconds until the liquid is thickened. Cool to room temperature; this mixture must not be warm when added to the remaining cream, it must be cold. Add vanilla. Beat the remaining 3/4 cup cream just until traces of beater marks begin to show distinctly. Add the cornstarch mixture and beat until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised.

Refrigerated up to 24 hours, this will not water out. Makes 2 cups. To frost a sheet cake you will need to start with 5 - 5 1/2 cups unwhipped cream.

CREME PÂTSSIERE

This classic French custard can be made up to two days ahead. It is a compilation of several recipes, but pastry cream recipes are all very similar.

1 cup each whole milk and heavy cream
      1/2 cup sugar
      6 egg yolks
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1/4 cup corn starch, sifted (1 ounce)
      1 tablespoon flour
      2 teaspoons vanilla
      2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks

For thick filling, necessary for a layer cake. One recipe will fill a 9” cake. To fill a 1/2 sheet cake, you will need 3 recipes of the above. It can all be made at once in a large Dutch-oven size pot.

Heat milk/cream in a 2 quart saucepan until hot but not simmering.

Whisk the sugar, egg yolks and salt in a large bowl until thick and lemon-colored; 3-4 minutes. Add cornstarch and flour, whisk to combine. Slowly whisk in about 1/2 cup of the hot milk/cream. Return this mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, whisking constantly and scraping pan bottom and sides as you stir, about 6-10 minutes. Off heat, stir in vanilla and butter. Place pot in an ice water bath and whisk until cooled to room temperature. Transfer to another container and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until set; can be refrigerated overnight. To ensure that pastry cream does not thin out, do not whisk once it is set.

devil's food cake- a chocolate cake that's got it all
      Submitted by cooksgirl on May 16, 2003 at 7:44 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Devil's Food Cake- A chocolate cake that's got it all

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under cakes
      INSTRUCTIONS
      This recipe is from Pam Anderson's cookbook, CookSmart. I have edited the directions to be a little more specific than she has in her version.

2 cups sugar (14 oz) (I used superfine)
      1 3/4 cups cake flour (6 oz)
      2 TBSP cornstarch
      1 tsp baking soda
      3/4 tsp salt
      2/3 cup dutch cocoa (2 oz) I use Pernigotti from Williams-Sonoma
      3/4 cup boiling water (6 fl. oz)
      1/2 cup sour cream (4 1/2 fl. oz)
      1 tsp vanilla
      4 large egg whites, room temperature
      14 TBSP butter, melted but not hot

Adjust oven to lower middle position and preheat oven to 350. Generously grease and flour two 8x2 inch round cake pans. I also put parchment paper in the bottoms.

Whisk sugar, flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt in large bowl of stand mixer and set aside. (I weighed all the ingredients and then sifted them into my large stand mixer bowl instead of the whisking)

Place cocoa in medium bowl. Whisk in 3/4 cup boiling water until smooth. Stir in sour cream and vanilla. Set aside.

Mix melted butter into dry ingredients with paddle attachment on low for 1 minute. Mixture should be combined but will not look smooth like batter. Add cocoa mixture, increase speed to medium (#5) and beat for 2 1/2 minutes until batter is smooth. While batter is mixing, beat egg whites with hand mixer until they reach soft peaks.

Remove mixer bowl from stand and carefully fold in egg whites with a large whisk until no visible streaks of egg whites are left. Divide batter into pans (about 1 lb. 5 oz of batter in each pan). Bake until skewer inserted into center comes out with wet crumbs, about 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert and turn out onto wire racks to continue cooling.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.