What are you Cooking the Week of October 17, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 17, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

It is getting cold here, the high today was in the lower 50's, and we could still have a real frost tomorrow night, for a while Accuweather said it would hit 32, then the upped it to 35 and now they've dropped it back to 33.

I didn't touch the green tomatoes but I picked enough ripe ones (mostly 4th of July, those really did well this season!) and got another 3 quarts of tomato juice canned.

Tonight we had chili out of the freezer, it was a nice warm supper.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I made pork chops and a baked sweet potato.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had chicken pot pie.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Sunday dinner was my Turkey-Zucchini Loaf with Peach-Dijon Glaze, boiled and roughly mashed red potatoes, tossed in olive oil with a little salt, and microwaved green beans—a blessing from a garden where we thought there were no more.

We had leftover Turkey-Zucchini Loaf for dinner on Monday. I roasted red potatoes, tossed in olive oil and sprinkled with Penzey’s Mural of Flavor seasoning. I also made buttermilk coleslaw, although the cabbage was old, so the flavor was not that good. I need to learn the best way to store cabbage.

I received my Pfizer Covid-19 booster shot at 11 a.m. on Tuesday. I planned an easy dinner that would allow me to save the turkey-zucchini loaf for tomorrow, and then have another meal for Thursday. I was relatively confident that I could cook the day of the shot, but given last time’s day-after, I wanted to make sure most food was prepared. So, I made salmon patties that we could have with the leftover roasted potatoes and the coleslaw.

I roasted a medium, cubed butternut squash, tossed in a bit of olive oil, using my small convection oven to have for Wednesday dinner with leftover turkey-zucchini meatloaf and microwaved frozen peas.

navlys
            Participant

I made Natasha's" Juicy BBQ'd Chicken Thighs". I baked them and I used all the marinade ingredients recommended for 3 pounds on my one pound. I marinated them overnight. They were easy to prepare and very tasty. I like boneless skinless chicken thighs because they stay moist. I cut off most of the fat too.

cwcdesign
              Participant

Will is out of town, so I have been creating for myself this week. I found a kale Caesar salad that I adapted - it had shredded kale (I like Lacinato or dinosaur kale), shredded Brussels sprouts and roasted sweet potato rounds. It also had roasted chickpeas, but I didn't include those. I added in avocado and I was able to have it for a few days.

On Monday, I made whipped feta with roasted olives to share with a friend over wine. The olives were incredible. I will definitely make again. My whipped feta didn't work quite as well as the last time, but it's still something I enjoy.

Last night I had planned to make a ramen dish, but I didn't want to work that hard. So, I took the butternut squash I had prepped for it, roasted the rest of the Brussels sprout in olive oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper. I removed the sprouts from the pan since they were done and then added the squash, cremini mushrooms and a couple of sliced apple bourbon chicken sausages with a little more olive oil, syrup and s&p. It was really good and I have dinner for tonight!

BakerAunt
                Participant

I had 3 cups of potato water left from the potatoes I cooked on Sunday, so I decided to make a soup for me for lunch that I can eat for the rest of the week. I proceeded as in the story of “Stone Soup,” by putting in whatever I could find in the refrigerator, freezer, and pantry. I sauteed onion, celery, carrot, red bell pepper, and 2 cloves minced garlic, added the potato water, then added 2 cups of great northern beans that I had cooked and frozen a while back and about 1/3 cup black-eyed pea broth I had stuck in the freezer as well. I found a can of tomatoes with hatch chilis in the pantry to add. I added ½ tsp. chili powder and about ¼ tsp. cayenne (rather old cayenne), and a ½ tsp. Penzey’s Salsa & Pico. When it boiled, I stirred in ½ cup of bulgur, then let it simmer for 12 minutes covered. Given the ingredients, it is clearly a soup for me, since the onion, tomatoes, and great northern beans—not to mention the spices—make it unsuitable for my husband, who prefers his usual lunch sandwich anyway. The flavor is good, and the soup is nice on a cool day. The spices clear my head.

I am renewing my efforts to eat more vegetables and fruits, and include more beans, since my cholesterol numbers are stubbornly refusing to budge lower. (I also think that the frosting on that cake I had on each of three days before my doctor’s appointment made the numbers worse this time—it was made of butter, cream cheese, and white chocolate. I should have known better.) If diet and exercise cannot get the number down, I may have to take the statin.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I have a pot of stone soup on the stove for dinner tonight. I had made my version of chicken cacciatore for dinner on Tues, so took the leftovers and cleaned the chicken off the breast bones. I added the rice we had with dinner, more onions, celery, carrots, and a container of frozen asparagus, along with some chicken broth. We'll have it with garlic knots from the freezer.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had Taco salad.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We had takeout fried chicken.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

For Friday’s dinner, I made Tarragon Chicken with Mushrooms and Rice, a recipe that I adapted from one at “The Splendid Table.” We also had microwaved frozen peas.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Tonight we had baked breaded fish (from Costco) and steamed broccoli.

chocomouse
                            Participant

We had grilled pork chops and potatoes, and roasted Brussel sprouts drizzled with olive oil, pomegranate balsamic, bourbon barrel aged maple syrup.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I made oyster stew tonight.

cwcdesign
                                Participant

Yum, Joan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.