What are You Baking the Week of August 6, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of August 6, 2017?

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Rascals, have you read the ingredient list for store-bought bread? You could be tasting a lot of things. I recently read the list for bread I bought. I wanted to see if it had yeast and baking powder. I was shocked by the long ingredient list. Right then and there, I made the decision to eat only homemade bread. The next day, I made 2 loaves of bread, cut them in half, and froze 3 halves. This morning, I took one half out of the freezer and my husband will make BLT's with it tonight.

But I understand how your daughter feels. When I was a child, I wouldn't eat the homemade bread my dad made. I wouldn't eat store-bought bread either. I heard many a lecture about the starving children in China who'd love to have a slice of bread. But between the two types of bread, I preferred store-bought.

Italiancook
      Participant

Mike, I checked out the Austrian Malt Bread recipe. I've always thought I don't like malt, after trying an ice cream malt. Does the taste of the malt come through in this bread, or is it the secret ingredient that flavors without anyone knowing what it is?

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I think if you ate a slice without knowing the ingredients list, you'd never guess it had malted milk powder in it.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Mike I've made your recipe for the Austrian Malt Bread and it's very good.Really like a store bought bread but much better!

BakerAunt
            Participant

I've also made the Austrian Malt bread, and I agree that the malt is not in the forefront of flavors. When I want a malty bread, I make my version of the Grape Nuts bread.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.