What are you Cooking the Week of August 30, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 30, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Ooh, those brats sound so delicious, Chocomouse!

For dinner on Tuesday, I had the leftover bulgur and celery mixture that I had used to stuff the squash yesterday. I sautéed a diced yellow zucchini and chopped red bell pepper in grapeseed oil. I added 1 tsp. re-hydrated dried onion, and the drippings I deglazed from last night’s pork, along with some that I had frozen a while back. I added the leftover diced pork, then the bulgur mixture. We had it with microwaved fresh broccoli on the side.

RiversideLen
      Participant

Joan, I find that ground chicken can dry out since I'm a little paranoid about it and cook it until it's very well done. So I got the idea about mixing in bread crumbs with a liquid much like you would do for meatballs. This made the chicken mixture pretty soft but they cooked up nice. I sprinkled a little paprika on the top to give them a little color. I'll show a picture of one.

Yesterday I had one of my chicken patties and made a mushroom gravy and had it with rice. Also a large salad.

IMG_0894

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by RiversideLen.
        • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by RiversideLen.
        Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

Len your chicken patty looks really good,I know I'd like it on a bun!Nice color too!

Today I made Salisbury steaks in gravy,mashed potatoes for my husband and a ear of corn cooked in microwave for me.Now it's coffee time.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I had intended to roast a chicken for dinner on Wednesday, but it had not thawed through, so I pulled out a can of salmon and made my salmon patties. To go with it, I sautéed a green and a yellow zucchini with some celery, then added the leftover tomato sauce from a batch that I made earlier in the week and a heaping tsp. of dehydrated onion that I reconstituted. I cooked some penne whole wheat pasta and mixed it in,

I also made another batch of yogurt on Wednesday.

chocomouse
            Participant

We had grilled boneless pork chops, kale salad, tomatoes, and green and yellow beans from the 2nd planting in the raised beds on the deck.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I had a chicken patty with mac & cheese, green beans and leftover mushroom gravy.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

No cooking here tonight I had a peanut butter and jam sandwich my hubby went got him a BBQ and fries.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I had a tomato sandwich and husband had a BLT for dinner. I processed about 5 quarts of tomato sauce for the freezer today also.

chocomouse
                    Participant

BakerAunt, I'm sorry you cannot eat brats now. I feel badly just posting about them. How about some chicken sausage? I've eaten some really good ones, but I didn't pay much attention to the fat content. I have a feeling that the label "chicken" is supposed to make you think low-fat, although if you read the fine print, they are not very low fat at all!

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Leftovers, chicken patty with mac and cheese and a salad. A slice of blueberry pie for dessert.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

We had leftover salmon patties, and leftover summer squash with tomato sauce and whole wheat pasta, and fresh microwaved green beans from the garden.

It's ok, Chocomouse, to post about brats. I just go back in my memory to two particularly wonderful times when I had brats. If I had the opportunity, I'd probably just eat one really good one, and then I'd be satisfied for a long time.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

No cooking here,leftover Sloppy Joe's.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Friday afternoon, I made another batch of tomato sauce. I was going to freeze it, but I may refrigerate it to use on a spaghetti squash "lasagna" next week, if the cool weather forecast comes to pass, and if there are nice spaghetti squash at the farmers market.

For Friday dinner, I roasted a whole chicken on top of a bed of cut-up potatoes and mini-carrots that I had tossed in olive oil, then sprinkled with poultry seasoning, some salt, and Penzey’s Sweet Curry powder. I also rubbed the chicken with olive oil and sprinkled on the same spices. We had it with microwaved fresh broccoli. I am impressed with the whole chickens from Aldi’s, as they have less fat and use a lot less salt in the processing. They tend to be larger than what we could buy in town, as they are usually at least 5 pounds, and the price is better.

There will be plenty of leftovers for dinner for a few nights, so I will be able to focus on baking for a couple of days.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I made Veal Zurich on spaetzle, one of my favorite meals, and a relatively easy one to do once you've got the veal.

chocomouse
                                Participant

My kitchen was busy today! I made a tomato tart, which came out a little runny (should have used my Roma tomatoes, but I will try to drain off some of the excess liquid) but delicious as usual. I fixed maple candied carrots for my husband. And I made lemon blueberry muffins (and forgot to put in the sugar; it helps to read the recipe!). And we grilled tuna steaks for dinner.

But the biggest excitement of my day was my trip to KAF!! Rather, KABC. I have not been there now for at least 6 months; I rarely leave the house these days. I called ahead with my order, and picked it up curbside 20 minutes later! A very efficient, pandemic-safe process. I also spent less money than usual, because I was not tempted by all the goodies I don't need when walking through the store. I had shopped online first, however, and taken inventory of my pantry. I got a bag of semolina, one of Harvest Grains Blend, and Pumpernickel. I also bought a #16, 1/4 cup, disher, which I immediately put to use at home making the muffins - perfect! I should have bought one of these 30 years ago. The dough slid out easily, no sticky mess, and although I'm left-handed, it was very easy to use. The sizing was perfect, nicely domed. I highly recommend. Now, I need to decided if I like the new packaging. Clear plastic bags replacing the plastic-lined brown paper bags. Still have the zip-lock closure.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.