What are you Baking the Week of September 11, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of September 11, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

It hit 47 last night, and today's high is 75, must be time to bake something!

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We are having a lovely, cool, rainy day. It would be ideal for baking, but we are still conserving water, so I need to keep the dishes at a minimum. The well company is coming Thursday afternoon to drill the new well. As soon as we are set, a LOT of baking is going to happen.

chocomouse
        Participant

Today I made 2 loaves of oatmeal-whole wheat sandwich bread for our frequent BLT dinners.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I made semolina bread this evening, and my wife made her buttermilk scones.

chocomouse
            Participant

I made a dozen burger buns. This time I used bread flour and skipped the egg.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Today I made a batch of Healthy Oatmeal Cookies from Martha Stewart. It's a small recipe (maybe that's part of what makes them healthy) that uses oil instead of butter or shortening. I used fruitcake fruit blend from KAB as I have some that needs to be used up and added some coconut flakes. They came out pretty good.

I got 18 cookies out of it.

oat-cookie

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                chocomouse
                Participant

Today I made another chocolate-raspberry cheesecake to take to a gathering of friends.

Attachments:
                  mjekk
                  Participant

I baked a new recipe (for me) from Taste of Home--Hawaiian Sweet Bread--https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/hawaiian-sweet-bread/
                    I baked it in 2 9x5 bread pans. It rose up beautifully. I will use this recipe again. MaryJane

BakerAunt
                    Participant

The cookies and that raspberry chocolate cheesecake look so delicious.

Maryjane--Your Hawaiian sweet bread sounds yummy.

chocomouse
                      Participant

BakerAunt, you must be very, very hungry for some nice baked goods, since you've been so deprived by not being able to bake for yourself. I wish we all lived closer to you - we would share our baked goods, and you could be my taste tester. I won't even post a picture of the lemon cake/brownie type bar I made today. And I subbed Greek yogurt for cream cheese in the frosting - it worked! And I mistakenly used Lime juice powder instead of Lemon juice. I'm now calling it a citrus cake, and it is delicious!

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Chocomouse--I had some "emergency desserts" in the freezer. We finished off a Chocolate Zucchini mini-Bundt cake tonight, and I have one more mini-loaf of zucchini bread. But I so much want to be baking!

That is good to know that subbing Greek yogurt for cream cheese can work in a frosting.

chocomouse
                          Participant

I just took a batch of raspberry muffins out of the oven. An early morning bake for me, but I'm leaving for a week in Maine in an hour and wanted to be sure my husband would have something special for his breakfasts. He does also have leftover citrus zucchini bars.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I am about to bake three loaves of my Whole Wheat Oat Bran Bread. We are out of bread, so it's a necessity.

The drilling company is here for the well. We are waiting for the cable company to remove the internet cable so that the drill can get into position. After being told by the drilling company to have it done by 8 a.m., the cable company then said 1 p.m. The trouble is that they are on CST (we and the drilling company are on eastern time), and although they were told EST 1 p.m., the message did not get conveyed. I'm posting before I bake because we will likely have no internet for a few days, depending on when they get the cable back.

After the drilling, it will be a WEEK before the work can be done to get things going, so we have another week of being careful with water.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I just took the first batch of turnovers out of the oven, I made them rather small, the baked weight is about 44 grams. The dough puffed up decently and they're very flaky, you can see the layers along the left edge of this one.

IMG_0330

Attachments:
                                aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

I made potato rolls. I'd started with the KAF recipe but it seemed to stiff so this time I upped the hydration to 70% and I'm very happy with the outcome. I may brush the top with egg wash next time to give them some more color.

I was going to make challah but we were out of eggs and by the time I went to the store I'd lost the momentum. I may make it out of cycle. I usually prep it Thursday night or Friday morning. I'm still adjusting to the morning schedule after school started. I make the breakfasts and lunches and get our kids on the bus.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.