What are you baking the week of October 27, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of October 27, 2019?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Hey, Len--if it isn't broken....

The design on the two pumpkin breads seemed a bit clearer today, although not as sharp as I'd like. I took the second loaf to a friend who injured her leg over a month ago, and had the injury made worse by an inattentive physical therapist who relies on subordinates. She, her husband, and their son were delighted to get the loaf.

RiversideLen
      Participant

Here's an interesting take on pumpkin shaped dinner rolls.

Pumpkin Shaped Dinner Rolls

BakerAunt
        Participant

Thanks for sharing the video, Len. Those pumpkin-shaped rolls are cute. Now I'm wondering if I could use my Nordic Ware pumpkin muffin pan or the fall items muffin pan and make rolls in it--maybe use Ellen's (Moomie's ) recipe? I may give that a try and see if I can make it work in time to use it for Thanksgiving dinner when we will host some friends.

I actually have a pumpkin mold--made like the famous lamb mold that comes out at Easter--that I bought from King Arthur years ago. The one time I tried baking bread in it, using their recommended recipe, it did not fill the mold, and so only had the shape on one side. I need to look at it and figure out its volume....

See what you started? 🙂

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Saturday afternoon, I made another try at the “3 Grain Bread,” recipe from Breads, Breads, & More Breads (#37), a Pillsbury cook booklet from the 1980s. (The bread is misnamed, as it counts AP flour as a different grain from whole wheat.) The adaptation I did the week of October 13 did not rise well and was dense. This time, I again used the additional whole wheat and rye. I decided to do half medium and half dark rye, in part because the medium rye is more expensive, and I want to save it for another recipe. I replaced the 3 Tbs. butter with 2 ½ Tbs. olive oil, since I like how the olive oil works in Len’s famous Whole Wheat/Rye/Semolina bread. I replaced ¼ cup bran with ¼ cup flax meal, and I again used 2 cups buttermilk. The additional ¼ cup of water, and another ½ cup bread flour, as well as a bit more honey and 4 ½ tsp. yeast resulted in two beautiful loaves of bread now cooling on a rack on my counter. Both rises were long: the first one as 80 minutes and the second an hour. I don’t know if that is the dough or due to a cooler house. I did the rises on the dining room table, as the heat from the wood stove wafts up, so it is around 71F there. I tried a different shaping technique, based on the discussions at Nebraska Kitchen. After pre-shaping, I did not fold the dough but pressed it down just a bit, then tucked it around all the edges, being sure to seal the seam on the bottom. It worked on these loaves, which baked in 9x5 bread pans. I look forward to slicing a loaf for lunch tomorrow.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: changed "flour" to "grain"
            RiversideLen
            Participant

BakerAunt, I made bread in a lamb mold once but I used my own recipe. I just made sure I filled the front side well and to the top, then put on the back side for the second rise. Oven spring lifted the back side but all in all, it wasn't bad. I'm sure the NordicWare pumpkin muffin pans would work well, I'd give it a try.

skeptic7
              Participant

Those pumpkin rolls are so cute. They would be great with unsweetened pumpkin cream cheese, or made with a pumpkin yeast bread dough.

skeptic7
                Participant

Last week I did a low fat chocolate buttermilk cake from 'Have your cake and Eat it Too' by Susan G. Purdy. I had made this last year as a two layer cake and I liked the flavor and texture but thought that it made a very thin cake. Also I still had the dark karo corn syrup I had bought for this cake and wanted to use it.
                  This year I again baked it in a half sheet pan, but this time I cut it into 4 quarters and layered strawberry jam between the layers. This was frosted with Chocolate Fudge Frosting from King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary cookbook. This made a reasonably high cake, and nicely chocolately. The frosting covered the top well, but the sides were hard to frost. I took it to a party and it was well received.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Here are some comments on the pumpkin-shaped dinner rolls recipe.

Pumpkin Shaped Rolls

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.