What are you Baking the Week of October 2, 2022?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 2, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm thinking of making another batch of laminated dough on the manual sheeter, so I can make some croissants and chocolatines.

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Mike you're up early! I mixed up a batch o ciabatta. I may use some for pizza again tonight.

navlys
        Participant

I made mini loaves of banana bread in the KA mini loaves pan. Love that pan because it makes perfectly sized loaves to give away as gifts. Nothing sticks either.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Actually, I was up late and decided to go ahead and post the weekly topics.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Sunday, I baked cornbread to go with soup for dinner. I use half AP and half cornmeal, but this time, I subbed in 1/2 cup white whole wheat for that much AP, and it worked well.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I am making a 600g batch of croissant dough using the manual sheeter today.

The challenge still seems to be to find a folding/rolling pattern that produces easily usable final shapes. I would up doing a standard English encapsulation, followed by a 3 fold (letter turn) then a 2 fold then a final 3 fold. That should give me a total of 36 layers in the final dough. But right now I've got dough that's about 3 x 10 and due to be rolled out along its length, and I really don't know if I want one that's 3 x (at least) 30.

I think what I'll probably do is divide the dough into two or more parts during the final rollout, so that I can turn it a couple of times to get it into a rectangle I can work with for cutting.

My hope is to make about a half dozen medium croissants and perhaps a dozen small chocolatines (rolled chocolate croissants).

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I made 16 small chocolatines (5x7.5 cm dough pieces), some with one stick of chocolate in the middle, some with two sticks. I think my chocolate sticks are a little thicker and heavier than the ones they sell to bakeries.

I think I like the singles better than the doubles, but they're both tasty. I think Diane prefers the double-chocolate ones.

Next time I'll make the dough pieces a bit wider (and a little longer, too) so the chocolate doesn't stick out the end and they roll up better, you're supposed to cut the dough to the same width as the chocolate stick (5cm), but the dough kind of shrinks after you cut it and it stuck out the end of most of them. Didn't seem to hurt how they baked, though.

I don't know how well they keep, but they'll probably be gone by tomorrow evening anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚

IMG_0339

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  BakerAunt
                  Participant

Those look scrumptious, Mike.

My baking was more modest. On Monday, I baked wholegrain zucchini bread using my Bundt 4-loaf pan. I will freeze three. As I had zucchini left over, I baked a half recipe of my version of The Shipyard Galley's Zucchini Muffins as six large ones, four of which I froze.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Oh Mike those chocolate croissants look wonderful!I'm with Diane, double chocolate.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

Mike, those look better than the ones we get from the in-house bakery! I'm on team double-chocolate.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I may have to try a little cinnamon sugar in some, too (in addition to the chocolate, of course.)

I made the chocolate sticks using a mold I bought online, it appears they're a bit larger than the Callebaut ones (which appear to be available in two sizes, ones around 5.6 grams each and ones around 10 grams each, mine are around 11 grams.) But I think the chocolate I used (Callebaut 811) is the same for both sizes.

It's about time to gear up to make chocolate candies for an Advent calendar for our granddaughter, I think each time I make a batch of chocolate I'll pour what's left into the stick mold, I used up about 2/3 of the ones I had today, and these are definitely on the 'make again soon' list.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

There was some butter leakage when I baked the chocolatines, don't know if I'd consider it excessive or not. But I may run the pre-heat temperature up a little for the croissants when I do them later today. Reinhart has you pre-heat the oven to 450 then drop it to 375 when you put the dough in. I think I started it at 425 yesterday.

skeptic7
                            Participant

I think the chocolatines look great. I wish I was close enough to eat them. My trouble with making chocolate sticks is that they are such a convenient size to snack on. I made a batch for pan au chocolat and ate more than half.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Those chocolatines look real good to me, Mike, make mine a double!

This afternoon I made Healthy Oatmeal cookies from the Martha Stewart site. The recipe doesn't call for any spices other than vanilla extract, but brown sugar, oats and raisins just beg for cinnamon at the very least. So I added cinnamon, a little allspice and nutmeg. I also soaked the raisins in a splash of rum. I also added some chopped pecans. They came out great.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Today's croissants, about 35 grams each.

croissants

I used an egg wash, that made them a bit darker, even though I baked them several minutes less than what the recipe calls for.

I did preheat the oven to 450 today, dropping it to 375, I think there was less butter leakage than last night's chocolatines.

Attachments:
                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.