What are You Baking the Week of October 13, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of October 13, 2019?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The public schools in Lincoln have served cinnamon rolls with chili for as far back as anyone can remember. Of course the kids dip the roll in the chili. Their rolls are not very sweet and either aren't frosted or don't have much frosting on them.

In any event, nearly every restaurant in Lincoln that serves chili will bring a cinnamon roll with it, because everyone expects that.

I also took a couple of tips from the Epicurious cinnamon roll episode that was in a recent thread:

I made a compound butter with softened butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and spread it on the rolled out dough.

I also used a 24" carpenter's straight edge to make sure I had a nice rectangle (a tool we used in chocolate school), and then used that same straight edge to cut the dough before I rolled it up. That went surprisingly well. They're still rising, I'll post some pictures after they're baked.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Post Moved to October 20, 2019 thread. I put it under the wrong week.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

The rye bread sounds delicious, Aaron. With your plans for the deli, you can probably afford refrigerator space for a standing rye starter. I have some rye recipes that I'd like to try, but they call for standing starters, and I'd just not bake with it enough to justify having it. As we get into winter, I'll need to see if I can use some of my regular sourdough starter to create a one-time use rye starter for when I want to try rye bread. (I am more fond of rye bread than my husband, in part because it is sometimes hard on his digestive system.)

Might the blow outs in the rye bread perhaps be due to changing to a mixer? I didn't have much of a blow out issue until I began using a stand mixer. I do better with my shaping now if I form the dough into an oval, let it rest, then flip it over (so the smooth side is on the bottom), then fold it lengthwise. I flatten it slightly with the palm of my hand, then use the side of my hand to press it down around the edges. I then roll it, and smooth out the bottom seam and the sides. Usually there are no blowouts with that method, although I do occasionally get small holes within the bread if I am not careful with the flattening part.

chocomouse
          Participant

I made two loaves of whole wheat bread and added a cup of KAF's Harvest Grain mix to the dough. I also made an Apple Sharlotka, which I am going to cut into very soon. It looks and smells wonderful.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Here's a photo of my cinnamon rolls, they came out a lot like Chelsea buns.

image3

I'd be tempted to make them a bit smaller next time, maybe 6 or 9 to a batch instead of 4. My wife thinks they need more cinnamon, she thinks most cinnamon goods need more cinnamon.

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              RiversideLen
              Participant

I made my sandwich buns topped with KAF's Everything Bagel Topping.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.