What are You Baking the Week of October 13, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of October 13, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For Sunday breakfast, I made corn meal and white whole wheat pancakes, which we had with maple syrup and some of the blueberry sauce leftover from when I made a pie.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Monday, I baked another batch of my adaptation of Ken Haedrich’s Whole Wheat and Oatmeal Zucchini Bread. This time, I used my four-well Nordic Ware Bundt loaf pan. It’s older, so it has the darker finish. I reduced the baking temperature to 325F. I baked them 10 minutes longer, as these are larger loaves. They turned out very well. I plan to freeze these four.

I also baked my seeded crispbread. This time, I put the baking shelf up one notch, which seems to work better for crackers and cookies than the one below it that I use for breads.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

Wednesday afternoon consisted of two baking experiments. I took the KAF recipe for Zucchini Chocolate Chip Pecan Bars that I baked in September and we liked. However, I already had 8 oz. of shredded squash that I needed to use, and I did not want to clean the food processor. I am also out of quick oats, and I wasn’t feeling a desire for chocolate. So, I mixed the canola oil and light brown sugar, added the egg, then mixed in the squash. I added 1 ½ cups of 5-grain rolled cereal (Bob’s Red Mill). I deleted the vanilla. I used white whole wheat flour and the rest of the dry ingredients as given, except that I cut the salt to ½ tsp. and added ½ tsp. cinnamon. I also stirred in 60g (about 1/3 cup of cinnamon chips. I baked them for 37 minutes. They came out well with my changes, although a bit chewy from the 5-grains cereal. I've been avoiding the cinnamon chips due to the saturated fat (14g in this half cup), but I have a lot (leftover from before KAF stopped selling them), so I try to use them occasionally, and I wanted that cinnamon flavor in the bars.

My other experiment is a recipe for Three Grain Bread, from Breads, Breads, and More Breads (no. 37) in a Pillsbury recipe booklet from about thirty years ago. It’s another bread that I used to bake all the time, and that was when I kneaded by hand. I recall baking it about six years ago and discussing it with the now defunct KAF Baking Circle. I made some changes in that I increased the medium rye flour and the whole wheat flour to 2 cups each and reduced the bread flour by ½ cup. I reduced the two packages of yeast to 3 ½ tsp. I reduced 2/3 cup honey to 3 Tbs. and 2 Tbs. molasses to 1 tbs. I added 1/3 cup special dry milk. I replaced ¼ cup “shreds of whole bran cereal” with ¼ cup flax meal. I used 2 cups buttermilk in place of the regular milk. The dough was a bit dry with ½ cup water that I used to proof yeast. I added 2 Tbs. Next time I’ll use 1/3 cup water. I also used ½ cup less bread flour. I replaced the 3 Tbs. margarine with 2 Tbs. canola oil. The bread took 90 minutes on the first rise and 1 hour 15 minutes on the second and perhaps should have gone a bit longer. The house was cool, and I forgot until the second rise that I need to put a mat under the dough container since the counters are cold. There was not much oven spring, so the loaves are smaller than expected. We’ll see how they are when I cut into them tomorrow.

skeptic7
          Participant

On Monday I did English Scones from the Cook's Illustrated recipe. A friend wanted to try the English custom of scones and clotted cream. She had found a recipe for making clotted cream by baking cream in the oven for hours, and I had agreed to make scones to accompany them. Monday Columbus day was a perfectly cool day just right for cooking and a Federal Holiday. So she made the cream and I did more or less this recipe
            https://www.tasteasyougo.com/2015/05/british-style-currant-scones-recipe.html

I found this was too soft with white flour and I made drop scones instead of cut scones. These were baked at 350 degrees for 20 minutes instead of 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Between one thing and another these were rather flat. But they were very tasty and the clotted cream was great.

Today I am making this recipe,.
            https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cheese-filled-sweet-braid-recipe

Comparing this recipe with the fake braid in the 200th Anniversary Cookbook, this recipe has half the amount of dough and the same amount of filling. I have one braid with notably less filling than the other, I hope the braid with two much filling turns out. The dough was very soft, I should have added more flour. I ended up rolling it out with extra flour between two sheets of wax paper. I am going to let it rise overnight and bake tomorrow morning. I hope it turns out well.

skeptic7
            Participant

By the next morning the braids had raisen but weren't too puffy. The fake braids baked up to a beautiful golden brown. The one with more filling leaked at one side edge and was a little misshapened, the other one is beautifully symmetrical. I wrapped them up carefully and put them into the refrigerator. Will take to a party tonight.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I'll be interested to know how the clotted cream recipe turned out.

skeptic7
                Participant

The clotted cream was wonderful! I put a little leftover cream in hot chocolate the next day. I think she baked 2 pints of heavy cream in a baking dish for 12 hours at low temperature, perhaps 200 or 25 degrees. She said that at the end the cream was golden cover and had sperated. She skimmed the solids off and refrigerated it as clotted cream and kept the liquid for cooking.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I'm about to feed my sourdough starter, then make the dough for sourdough pan pizza, which will be our dinner tonight.

On Saturday, I fed my sourdough starter and made my sourdough pan pizza. I used the tomato sauce I made with the last of the tomatoes from our garden. In addition to cooked ground turkey and sliced mushrooms, I used red bell pepper and green onions from the farmers market. I topped it with cubed low-fat mozzarella and grated Parmesan.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
                    RiversideLen
                    Participant

I made an apple pie with a crumble top (oats, a little flour, chopped walnuts and walnut oil instead of butter)

skeptic7
                      Participant

On Friday I made whole wheat pumpkin bread starting form the KAF Whole Grain pumpkin yeast bread. I made two large loaves as I was planning to bring these to share with friends on Saturday and Sunday.
                        I have modified the recipe to use four cups of flour, 1 cup of pumpkin, 1 egg and 1/4 cup of water per loaf so these are quite big loaves. One loaf was a cinnamon and allspice swirl baked in larger loaf pan. The other was done as a boule with > 1 cup of diced cheddar. The weather was nicely cool so I let them rise overnight and baked them on Saturday morning in the oven. I baked the loaf pan in an oval Dutch oven, and the boule was baked in the ceramic cloche. Both loaves turned out wonderfully.
                        I also made sugarless pumpkin cream cheese to serve with the swirl loaf. It was very well received.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I made a chicken-broccoli braid for a bookclub monthly meeting with a Halloween themed potluck. I shaped it like a mummy, with a rounded head.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Tonight I made a loaf of banana bread.

aaronatthedoublef
                            Participant

This week I made a dozen scones. To Skeptics point this recipe starts out a little wet but I fold in flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Then I form circles and cut the circles into wedges and push the wedges together. This helps keep them moist.

I made 10 dozen chocolate chip cookies for the high school band.

I made deli rye. It's the first time I made this in a mixer and I made about five pounds of dough which shrank to four and a half after the first rise. I made three loaves. I have access to a 10 quart mixer and it was more than big enough to handle this. I can probably up this to 10 pounds and will try that next week. The rye tastes good but probably needs a bit more salt. I need lots more practice shaping. I tried to make batards with diagonal slashes and still had blowouts.

Also the recipe called for a starter that I have to make each time. This adds about 12 hours as I let it sit overnight. If I have a standing starter then I can shave some time off this.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I'm making a small batch of 4 cinnamon rolls to go with the chili I made last night, it will not be frosted.

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

Cool. Is this to add a cinnamon flavor to the chili through the role? My mom made chili with cinnamon.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.