What are you Baking the Week of October 11, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of October 11, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I made dough for another batch of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Friday. I will bake them next week.

chocomouse
      Participant

I baked two loaves of our usual sandwich bread, oatmeal-whole wheat.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Len I bet your pie will be good,I like to throw in a handful of blueberries in my peach cobblers.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've (finally) published the article I've been writing for the last half year on how to compute the right amount of pie dough to make based on the size and type of pie you're making. Enjoy!

patty
            Participant

Hi everyone! Been a couple years since I was on here.☹️ I was toffee on old BC. I’m baking Outback Steakhouse bread today. Hope all are healthy and doing ok.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Great to see you posting here.

I need to make bagels and another semolina/malt pullman loaf. The bagel dough is rising, I may wait until tomorrow to make the semolina/malt bread. Last time I made it with 26 ounces of flour (50% semolina), that seemed to fill the pan while producing a slightly more open crumb, so I'm probably going to do that again.

S_Wirth
                Participant

Hello there, patty/Toffee! So nice to see your name here! Hope you and family are all doing well.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I've seen a couple of copycat recipes for Outback bread, which one are you using?

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Hey Patty/Toffee welcome back.The only rolls I've made near Outback bread was the Dark Soft Restaurant Rolls from KAF and they were Ok I didn't have caramel color but used a tad of molasses for color.Hope your bread turns out good.

I baked oatmeal cookie bars today.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Welcome back, Patty/Toffee!

After dinner on Saturday, I put together some sweet rolls to bake tomorrow morning. My starting point was KABC’s Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Rolls. I made a lot of changes, so many that it is my own recipe. I used 2 cups of whole wheat flour and reduced the AP flour to 2 cups. I added ¾ cup old fashioned oats and 2 Tbs. flax meal. I think that I added the ¼ cup special dry milk, but I’d have to go back and look at the recipe. I reduced the salt to 1 tsp. I deleted the spices in the dough and used special Gold yeast. I used a scant 12 oz. of pumpkin puree from the freezer, so I deleted the water. I replaced the butter with 3 Tbs. canola oil. I let the bread machine do the kneading. I did add 1 Tbs. more of AP flour. The first rise was quick. I reduced the sugar in the filling from ¾ to 2/3 cup. I put the rolls in a 3-inch deep ceramic 9-inch square pan. They are now in the refrigerator to rise slowly and be baked tomorrow.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Hi - Thanks for the upside down turkey roaster idea. I'm not sure it is deep enough but I have some in the basement that I'll test. The bread pan on it's side works pretty well. I just have to do a better job shaping.

Mike - thanks for suggesting the BBGA forum to see if anyone has a line on a tech. It's a little frustrating to have spent as much as we spent on this thing and be deserted by both the store who sold it AND the manufacturer.

I really miss the Garland. It was so simple it was elegant and even I could figure it out.

dachshundlady
                          Participant

I’m working on the last bucket of apples from our 3 trees. I’ve made and froze lots of applesauce, experimenting with different apple combos. I’ve also made a couple pies, still using Zen’s Piecrust mix. So I made an apple crisp using Big Lake Judy’s crumb topping from her contest winning sour cream rum raisin walnut apple pie. The walnuts are in the crumb topping and it’s killer. I realize that I may have lost some of you on the sour cream, raisin or walnut ingredients but then not all of us can eat dairy or nuts. Raisin aversion I just don’t get 😊 ~dachshundlady aka Maryann

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Raisins, rum, sour cream, nuts...apple pie is always good. Just keep those raisins away from your dogs!

There's just one piece of last week's strudel left, my wife was asking about whether I could make a smaller strudel since there's just the two of us, but this one is going fast enough I don't see that as necessary. (I thought it could have used just a little more dough relative to the amount of filling, one more layer, perhaps. Maybe I can stretch the next one out a bit more.)

skeptic7
                              Participant

Hi Dachshundlady; Its been a while. I LOVE walnuts ben tend not to use them in dishes for a group as tree nuts are one of the most common allergies. I've done raisins in apple scones and apple pie and liked it.
                                How are the little doggies coming along? Do you still have them?

Italiancook
                                Participant

I'm late saying this, Mike, but your strudel dough looked amazing and the filling scrumptious. When my grandmother was aged, my dad hired an immigrant to stay with her during the day while he worked. I no longer recall which country Mary was from. When she knew I was coming for a visit, she'd make absolutely delicious strudel for me. So it was fun seeing your strudel pictures.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.