What are you Baking the Week of March 6, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of March 6, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Baking plans?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Monday, I baked Dried Mixed Fruit and Pistachio Biscotti. It is the Cranberry Pistachio biscotti recipe that I found on the internet last December. I follow the recipe but use 80% white whole wheat flour. I have some bags of dried mixed fruit that I am using up, one recipe at a time. I rehydrate the cup of fruit with a Tbs. or two of water by covering it with saran and microwaving for a minute and letting it rest while I gather the rest of the ingredients.

I then baked Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough I made last week.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I made a small peach cobbler.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Blood oranges are in season, and I was able to buy a bag at the local grocery a week ago. On Tuesday, I baked Blood Orange Yogurt Cake. The original recipe is on the internet at "How Sweet Eats," via Taste of Home. I make a few changes in that I use half barley flour, non-fat Greek Yogurt, add a tablespoon of milk powder, and replace the melted coconut oil with avocado oil. I will make the blood orange icing tomorrow (halving the recipe), when we will begin slicing it for dessert.

I also changed the mixing instructions on the recipe in that I combine the sugar and oil and the zest at the start, then mix in the yogurt, whisk in each egg, add the orange juice and vanilla, then gently stir in the flour mixture. I baked the cake in the Nordic Ware loaf pan that has the citrus slice design.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Just a note to say that I made a half recipe of the frosting for the Blood Orange Yogurt Loaf Cake. We began having the cake for dessert tonight, and it is excellent.

chocomouse
              Participant

I made sticky buns this morning. I'm looking for advice about the "sticky" part, the glaze that goes in the bottom of the pan, and ends up on top after it's baked and flipped over. For the first time ever, this "glaze" is not sticky, but is very crumbly, and does not stick to the buns. It's made of melted butter poured into the pan, then sprinkled with brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans. I inverted the pan immediately after removing it from the oven, and scraped out anything still on the bottom of the pan. I used the KAF recipe "Our Favorite Sticky Buns" which I have used in the past, but sometimes I've used their "Sticky Buns" recipe. I've never had this problem before. Suggestions, please?

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I'm wondering if the ratio between the butter and the sugar was off.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I baked this recipe some years ago (before butter was out of my diet). My problem was that the mixture in the bottom of the pans boiled over in the oven and made a mess. I know that I wrote about it, most likely on the Baking Circle, although it could have been here. I did not have the Sticky Bun Sugar that KAF sells and used their suggested alternative. Some of the comments from people suggested that the Sticky Bun Sugar contains ClearJel. I never got around to trying the recipe again.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I don't believe I mis-measured, but that could be the problem, Mike. I read through all the comments, and one other baker said their's came very sugary, not sticky. I also used the alternative to the Sticky Bun Sugar. I haven't made these for ages, and I'm not sure which recipe(s) I've used in the past. I did not write down any comments on either of the KAF recipes. Now I've marked it so I won't use that glazing recipe again.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I haven't made sticky buns in a while, but I've never used a special sugar for them. Depending on the size of the pan, I use between a half-stick and a full stick of melted butter and about a cup of sugar with a little cinnamon mixed in. I usually use a mix of chopped pecans and whole pecans.

My rule of thumb is that if it isn't at least a little gooey before it is baked, it won't be very gooey after it is baked.

I've seen some recipes that add honey or corn syrup (if not both) which would also help make it more fluid.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I baked a small blueberry coffee cake in a 8x8 pan.Good and not too sweet.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Mike, my sticky bun pan was full of gooey goodness before I baked it. I used 1 stick of butter, 1 cup of brown sugar, and 3 tablespoons of cinnamon, plus pecans. I've not baked them in my counter top oven before, so I'm thinking maybe the temp was too high? or the rack set too low? I had to tent the buns after the first 10 minutes or so as they were browning too quickly. I've found some other items that need a lower temp (below 350) than the recipe calls for. Anyway - they are delicious and almost gone now!

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Might be worth using a meat thermometer to check to see what the actual temperature is. Does it have a circulating fan? Most recipes recommend cutting the temperature 25 degrees if there's force air circulation.

I've found my smaller oven seems to bake differently than my large one. Both are the same height and depth, it is just the width that is different, but that can affect heat circulation patterns.

chocomouse
                              Participant

I have an oven thermometer, and intend to use it, but I keep forgetting to put it in. I turn the convection off for baking. This is my Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer Pro, which I've had for about a year and haven't mastered yet, although I rarely use my big oven any more. I've found another sticky bun recipe I'd like to try, so we look forward to another week of good breakfast snacks!

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

I baked the little chocolate cake ,just one 8 inch layer it turned out very good, iced it with chocolate icing .My husband will be pleased.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.