What are you Baking the Week of March 20, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of March 20, 2022?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Today is the first day of spring, what's in the oven?

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I made another batch of the cream cheese brownies,taking them to my sister tomorrow.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Well, it may not be a seasonal bake for the first day of spring, but on Sunday morning I baked wholegrain pumpkin loaves (my adaptation of the recipe here at Nebraska Kitchen) as five mini-loaves. I left out two for desserts over the next few days and froze the other three

chocomouse
          Participant

Today I made Rhubarb Rolls, from CWalde on the Baking Circle in 2008. Although rhubarb is a spring food that I have in my garden, this is last year's, from the freezer. I've made this once before, years ago, and recalled it was messy, my notes say "never again", so I did some research online and made a few changes. It's just OK. Over cooked, just short of burned. But is made a nice gooey sweetish but not overly sweet, great rhubarb flavor, sticky sauce. My main recommendation would be to use a regular yeasted sweet dough recipe, not this one made with baking powder. It works, but is to roll up like a cinnamon bun. That and baking it at a more typical temp and time, say 350 for 30-40 minutes, might produce a really nice roll.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

My brownies came out really good and they were a hit to my sister and nieces.My sister was doing OK, and I had a great day visiting and love the ride,beautiful countryside and only about an hour away.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

My mother and grandmother were both big on rhubarb, I think it's one of those dishes that after cooking is best thrown in the trash.

chocomouse
                Participant

I'm not real fond of rhubarb either, Mike. But my husband likes it, and I have a big patch of it near my garden, so I might as well use it. A primary reason for not using it more is the amount of sugar needed to make it edible. It might be good used in a quick bread, like zucchini bread?

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Today I made a tray of 28 tangzhong cinnamon rolls, we both had two of them for supper with our chili. I'll probably freeze about 18 of them.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Wednesday I baked the Pumpkin Rye Whole Wheat Bread that I have developed from a recipe in Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet. I have changed it so much that it is now my own recipe. I used 2 cups of the pumpkin/squash hybrid we grew last year. This time I reduced the salt from 1 Tbs. to 2 1/2 tsp. I also added 1/2 cup of rolled 5-grain cereal that I wanted to use up, which meant that the bread did not need an additional 1/4 cup flour. I baked it in two 8 1/2 x 41/2 loaf pans this time, as opposed to the 9x5. They are slightly too large for the smaller pans, but they still look great. I will freeze one, and the other will be sliced at lunch tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Thursday evening, I baked Chocolate Olive Oil Cake with Blood Orange Glaze, a recipe that I bake every year when blood oranges are in season. The cake is cooling, so the glaze will be added tomorrow. I used the Nordic Ware Party Bundt pan.

Right before I was about to put it in the oven, I realized that I had not added the vanilla, so I put it on top of the batter, then used a fork to try to mix it in. I need to type up this recipe, with my changes, in a format that will prevent my making this mistake again. My format is to group the ingredients that go together, leaving a space between the groups. That way, I am less likely to overlook one of them.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I made 6 hamburger buns and 8 hot dog buns today.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Today I made two loaves of rye bread. I also baked a muffin mix in a box, by Krusteaz, which was a Christmas gift from a granddaughter. Cranberry-Orange. They are delicious, and I was surprised. I have another one in the pantry, blueberry.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

I made these today but did half a recipe and got 7 nice muffins,I didn’t have a green onion so I grated about a tablespoon of sweet onion and for the smaller amount of cheese I subbed provolone for grated parmesan .They are wonderful.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

They look wonderful, Joan!

On Saturday, I made dough for another batch of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.