What are You Baking the Week of December 23, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of December 23, 2018?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I tried a new recipe on Friday, Maple Date Kamut Cookies, from Bob’s Red Mill. It was on a package of dates I bought from them, and apparently it is in their cook book, but it is not on their website. The only saturated fat comes from the two eggs, and the recipe made 26 cookies. It also has oats. The cookies stay as little balls. I left the first batch that way; the second batch I smooshed flat. I think that the flatter ones bake better. I was not that impressed with them Friday evening, but they improve the next day. If I make them again, and likely I will since my husband likes them, and I still have the rest of the bag of kamut flour to finish, I might cut the quick oats back from 2 ½ cups to 2 ¼ cups, as the cookies seem a bit heavy.

I baked another new recipe on Saturday, Fresh Apple Cake, from Recipes from the Old Mill: Baking with Whole Grains, by Sarah E. Myers and Mary Beth Lind, two sisters whose family, according to the blurb on the back, has operated a mill producing stone-ground flour in West Virginia for two generations. This recipe is on p. 213. (Publisher: Good Books, 1995). It’s a favorite baking book, and so far, every recipe has worked well. I was particularly pleased that the 13x9-inch cake has 18g of saturated fat, so reasonable pieces work within dietary parameters. I used one Jonathan and three Winesaps. I substituted Penzey's Apple Pie Spice for 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. cloves in the cake itself, simply because I have the apple pie spice (a free sample) to use. I also substituted 1 cup buttermilk for 1 cup yogurt. We will have it for dinner tonight. I'll add a note after we sample it.

Note: The apple cake is delicious. I will definitely bake it again.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
      chocomouse
      Participant

Today I made DIY: Homemade Sandwich Thins, a recipe by Shawnda that I Googled. I'm still on a searchto imitate the Arnold's brand thins, which have wonderful flavor, come in whole wheat or whole grain varieties, but are relatively expensive. I followed the recipe exactly, and weighed the dough into 16 pieces shaped into balls. I got these thinner than past recipes, mainly by increasing my patience. I had thought about using my tortilla press to flatten them, but discovered it is not flat, but has divisions, like for quesidillas. I ended up very carefully using a rolling pin to flatten them on the baking sheet - after I waited 15 minutes to let the dough relax. I will make these again, and probably will cease my search for another recipe. Mine will never look as nice and perfectly shaped and thin as store-bought, but they taste good, cost less, are at least as healthy, and work perfectly for a small sandwich.

navlys
        Participant

“Fathers please forgive me”. When my cut brownies turned out to be undercooked I stuck them in the microwave for about 2 minutes or so and they turned out ok.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

No apology needed, the microwave oven has a proper place in the kitchen, and not just for leftovers.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.