What are you Baking the Week of August 2, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 2, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've been thinking of making cinnamon rolls using a brioche dough, not sure if I'll get it done this week.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Now that the countertops are in!! and they look great, tomorrow I might try baking the lime sugar cookies I've been wanting to make. I was already scheduled to have yesterday and today off and they gave me tomorrow off too.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Ah, yes, Cwcdesign! New kitchen countertops need to be christened with flour!

On Sunday, I reached into the treasure trove of blueberries that we had picked and baked an 8x8-inch blueberry streusel coffee cake, rifting off the recipe in Recipes from the Old Mill (p. 143), a favorite baking book I have mentioned previously. My changes were to half the salt, add 2 tsp. flax meal, and use buttermilk in the cake. For the streusel, I replaced 1 of the 2 Tbs. of butter with 1 ¼ tsp. grapeseed oil, which meant that I melted the butter instead of cutting it in. I also used ¼ cup quick oats rather than nuts in the topping. I baked it in a glass 8x8-inch square dish, so I reduced the temperature by 25F and baked it on the third shelf up. It needed about three additional minutes. We had some for dessert, and it is delicious.

Italiancook
          Participant

I was in a hurry to satisfy a cake craving. I made KABC (that Doesn't roll off the typewriter) Vanilla Cake Pan Cake for the 2nd time. First time, I noted that it doesn't taste vanilla in spite of a tablespoon of vanilla. I suggested to myself that next time I also add some vanilla bean. But I didn't do that today. I was also craving chocolate frosting and didn't want the extra vanilla to detract from the chocolate. I frosted it with the Allrecipes.com Creamy Chocolate Frosting. Since the cake is in an 8" pan, I had leftover frosting that I froze.

Should vanilla bean be added to the dry or to the wet ingredients?

RiversideLen
            Participant

I baked a pizza with pesto as the sauce. Topped it with olives, red onion, sausage, mushroom and red bell pepper.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Cwcdesign enjoy your new countertops!

skeptic7
                Participant

I did an Apple Pizza on Sunday. My normal whole wheat crust but a little thinner than normal as I baked it in a larger frying pan.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Today I made a Berries and Cream Cake, one of my absolute most favorite desserts. It's not really a cake, more like a cheesecake, but not really a cheesecake. It's baked in a 10" springform pan. The crust is like a shortbread, then a quart of berries (I used blueberries, and next will be blackberry, then a raspberry, and I plan to try a peach) poured into the crust. A filling of sour cream, sugar, egg, vanilla is poured over all of this. It's not very sweet, but the fruit just takes the flavor over the top! I got the recipe from a local newspaper recipe contest many, many years ago. About 5, maybe 10 years later, KAF published it online as their recipe. My original newspaper copy says nothing about KAF. I noticed today, as I searched to compare their recipe to the original, that it is no longer on their website. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to post it here.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Oh, please do post it, Chocomouse!

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I'd like to see it too, it sounds similar to a clafoutis recipe.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Tuesday evening, I made the dough for another batch of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I will bake them either at the end of this week or beginning of next week.

chocomouse
                          Participant

I've posted the recipe for Berries and Cream Cake in the Recipes forum. BakerAunt, I think you'll need to make quite a few modifications; the fat content is high, but that is what makes it so tasty! Mike, I think a clafoutis is more like a Dutch Baby, as that has quite a few eggs and no butter, but is also a great way to eat berries. Enjoy!

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Thank you for posting the recipe, Chocomouse. I knew when I asked that it might mean experimentation on my part. I would need to use a different kind of crust (I miss shortbread). I don't know if the recipe would work with low-fat sour cream or not. Perhaps after the pandemic--when we can have dinner parties again!--I could make if for company and have just a small piece.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I made my usual sandwich buns today and will bake a pizza for dinner.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

We are out of bread, so on Wednesday I baked two loaves of my version of Grape Nuts Bread. I adjusted it last February to use more whole wheat flour. I kept that change this time, but where I used 3 cups bread flour last time, I used 2 cups bread flour and 1 cup KAF AP flour this time to see if I can back off using such a high amount of bread flour. The bread rose somewhat more slowly than usual, but it had a good rise and some oven spring. I erred on the shaping on one loaf and have a slight blow-out on the top, which is unusual. We will cut into one loaf tomorrow for lunch, and the other is destined for the freezer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.