Very Chocolate Potato Cake by Beachdee

Home Forums Recipes Very Chocolate Potato Cake by Beachdee

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

CAKE: Very Chocolate Potato Cake
      Submitted by beachdee on April 24, 2004 at 9:27 pm

I think the original recipe came out of Cooking Light Magazine or Walking Magazine, one of those "healthy-type" ones. I've made a few tweaks, of course. It's very, very moist, heavy, rich, almost like a fudgy brownie only without all the fat.

• 1 cup sifted flour (orig. wants cake flour, I sub half whole wheat pastry flour -- you decide!)
      • 1 medium russet (baking) potato, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (~ 6 oz.)
      • 3/4 cup boiling water
      • 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
      • 1/2 cup rice, golden (e.g., Lyle's), or your preferred thick syrup
      • 1/8 cup coconut oil
      • 1/8 cup soft butter
      • 1 egg
      • 1/2 cup unsweetened pure cocoa powder (i.e., Hershey's)
      • 1 tsp baking powder
      • 1/2 tsp baking soda
      • 1/4 tsp salt
      • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
      • 1 Tblsp powdered sugar

1) Grease/spray and flour a 6-cup Bundt pan (note: I did not use flour but tried greasing with coconut oil and then used sugar instead of flour. The cake came right out.

2) Place potato chunks in a pan, cover with water (not the water in the ingredients list), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer (uncovered) for 15 minutes or until very tender.

3) Drain potatoes. Press the cooked potato through a sieve into a bowl. You only need 1/2 cup of it for this recipe--place this into a small bowl and pour the 3/4 cup boiling water called for in ingredients over it, stir until smooth, and set aside.

4) Mix sugar, syrup, and shortenings together in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 5 minutes (I used a wooden spoon and my arm and it seems to have turned out fine). Beat in the egg.

5) Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, and salt together. With low speed if using electric mixer, add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternating with the potato mixture, and beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.

6) Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 325°F for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when gently touched.

7) Set pan on rack to cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to cool completely on wire rack. Sprinkle with the powdered sugar, or whatever sounds good to you!

Tip: Use a serrated knife to cut.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.